US Medical Head, Renal
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As the US Medical Head, Renal you’ll play a pivotal role in channelling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
This role reports directly to the VP of medical affairs for renal and is a member of the renal therapeutic leadership team and leads the Lokelma Core Medical Team. The position can be either a Senior Director or Executive Director based upon the individual's experience. The US Medical Head, Lokelma will be accountable for the development and execution of the US Renal Lokelma pan, and leadership of the Lokelma Core Medical teams. The ideal Medical Lead would have a network of nephrology external scientific expert and Professional Society relationships and should have familiarity with the US healthcare system as it pertains to the care of patients with chronic kidney disease, including those with ESRD receiving dialysis. The ideal candidate should have expertise in field medical affairs activities including evidence generation and experience in collaborating with marketing and sales teams.
- Co-lead the Renal Brand team with the Commercial Brand Leader
- Lead Lokelma Core Medical Teams (CMT)
- Accountable for the US brand medical strategy and creation and delivery of brand medical plan
- Accountable for an appropriate development budget and resource requirements to support the development needs for the brand.
- Lead the delivery of U.S.-based clinical development activities, including Clinical Trials, Real World Evidence Studies, Investigator Initiated and Sponsored Research, and Publications
- Manage and develop direct reports and deployed resources including brand Medical Directors, Field Physicians, and Directors of Medical Alignment (as appropriate)
- Create an atmosphere of clear accountabilities.
- Ensure compliance with all AZ corporate policies
- As part of Medical Plan, ensure comprehensive engagement plan with customers and key stakeholders, e.g., Managed Care Organizations, Key Opinion Leaders, Key Institutions and Hospital Systems, Professional Societies
- Develop and maintain relationships with key external and internal customers.
- Lead development of an Advisory Board strategy
- Participating in and collaborating with both commercial and development in the labeling negotiations for a product approval.
Line Management: Functional responsibility for Medical Director(s), Director of Medical Alignment
- The expectation is that as the RCTA franchise develops additional medical staff will be required; therefore, the expectation is that the Medical Lead role will have functional line responsibilities for future medical staff.
Launch Experience: Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
- The Renal franchise is expected to launch new indications, and products in the next 5 years; therefore, experience in the Medical Affairs roles and responsibilities will be important to lead this process
Global Interactions: Represent US Medical Affairs on Renal Cardio Global Medical Teams, incorporating US healthcare system perspectives and personal expertise into both the Global and US Medical Affairs strategy and operational plans.
- The US Medical Affairs team is an integral part of the overall global strategy. The Medical Lead sits on the GMT and is a critical leader in the strategic direction of the brand globally. The US Medical Lead will be working in a collaborative fashion with the Global Medical Affairs team to deliver both the strategy and overall operational plan for the US.
- Medical Degree
- Clinical Nephrology experience
- Minimum 5 years in pharmaceutical/medical industry
- Strong leadership skills
- Proven teamwork and collaboration skills
- Board Certification, experience/certification in Nephrology
- Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
- Broad cross-functional pharmaceutical and cross-functional general management experience
- Strong scientific background; knowledge and experience in renal disease
- Minimum 3 years experience in a strategy-setting role within Medical Affair
Essential Skillsand Competencies:
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills
- Understands drug development of pharmaceutical products
- Comprehensive understanding of pharmaceutical product planning, regulatory environment, marketing and promotion
- Comprehensive understanding of the U.S. healthcare environment
- Experience in a global organization
- Previous line management experience
- History of mentoring/development of others
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
- Shows initiative and innovation
- Strategic thinking
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross functional teams
- Ability to travel nationally. Travel will be approximately 20% of time
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.