US Forecasting Leader - Immunology
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development
Global Insights, Analytics & Commercial Excellence (GIACE) is a strategic function, critical for enabling success in the growth of the BioPharmaceuticals Business Unit (BBU). Our ambition is to build an industry-leading organization, empowering our Commercial teams through the generation of compelling evidence and insights, while ensuring they have the tools and skills to deliver impactful launches that change the practice of medicine for the benefit of patients. Within GIACE, the Insights & Analytics function is organized across three teams and supports both the US and Global organizations: Respiratory & Immunology Insights, CVRM Insights (Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal), and the Insights & Analytics Center of Excellence (CoE).
This role is part of the US focus of the CoE. The Forecasting Leader is a critical business partner with the US brand team, producing forecasts and consulting with the team on how to manage risks and opportunities for the business. As a Forecast Leader, you will have responsibility for a brand/brands and play an integral role in understanding performance, setting expectations for performance, and guiding brand strategy. They will be responsible for implementing and ensuring consistent application of best practices across the organization drawing from inside and outside the industry, leading to objective forecasts supported by insight & analytics. You will partner with the Forecast Lead, Senior Director to help develop and implement new capabilities and improvements and assist in training across the Forecasting team.
What you’ll do
- Create robust forecast models taking into consideration key data, insights, trends, and assumptions around patient flow, market dynamics, competitive landscape, payer mix, supply chain inventory fluctuation, etc.
- Assess existing forecast models, and prioritize areas for improvement
- Refresh models with latest insights as they become available
- Lead assumptions generation discussions, synthesis of data and insights by gathering inputs from Market Research, Brand Analytics, Marketing, Finance, Market Access, Medical, etc.
- Ensure strong alignment on forecast assumptions with cross functional teams (marketing, insights, Finance, Market Access, Brand Analytics, etc.) to provide transparency of forecast
- Explain forecast variance by tracking forecast assumptions vs actuals and provide insight(s) on assumption and performance differences in actual(s) vs forecast(s) during RBU1, RBU2, and MTP.
- Provide support to the ad-hoc business critical activities like valuation of potential in licensing/business development opportunities, earnings prep documents, investors relation call etc.
- Partner with Global or Early Asset teams to perform LTP, business case assessments for development or life cycle management decisions
- Proactive identification of portfolio and brand risks and opportunities, and strategies for how to address them to deliver business success.
- Ensuring objectivity of brand/therapeutic area forecasts of internal and external opportunities through establishing objectives aligned around forecast accuracy.
- Monitors the external environment to stay up to date on latest therapeutics area research and clinical development, as well as competitor landscape
- Sensitivity analysis to assist in opportunity identification and risk management.
- Partnership with GMAP and Finance to understand market access and price impact, estimate SMM, and support development of P&L for the opportunity evaluation
- Develop a deep understanding of internal customers' data and analytical needs focusing on the customer-facing model
- Champion the use of local customer insight in strategic and resourcing decisions across the business.
- Access appropriate information via a variety of tools and sources
- Summarize and present findings through various communication channels
- Capability in applying deeper technical skills and knowledge that is shared across the functional area (e.g., deep knowledge of key data sets, modeling capabilities, etc.)
- Demonstrate a high level of understanding of the points of integration of our work and that of our colleagues.
Essential for the role
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- 5+ years of analytical experience
- 2 years of US pharmaceutical industry experience in product forecasting. In-depth knowledge of forecasting techniques and use of different forecast models and approaches.
- Experience in building, deploying, and embedding capabilities into an organization.
- Experience in Commercial Evaluation / Business Development preferred
- Experience utilising a range of analytics involving standard data in the Pharmaceutical Industry e.g. IQVIA (MIDAS, DDD, NPA, Xponent), claims data (LAAD, MarketScan, Optum, Prognos, Symphony), other epidemiological data (Decision Resources, Kantar) etc
- Strong understanding of primary market research, advanced analytics, and competitive intelligence.
- Reportable accomplishments around converting derived insight into strategic guidance and developing this skill among cross functional team.
- Exceptional business acumen, strategic thinking and understanding of sales and marketing business practices
- Entrepreneurial mindset to impact leadership and high emotional intelligence
- Experience advising senior level executives, strong coaching and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to influence laterally and vertically
- High degree of creativity and innovation in developing new approaches, processes and methodologies
- Strong market research and analytical expertise, excellent financial modelling and forecasting skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Advanced degree preferred (e.g., PhD / MBA / Masters in areas such as Statistics/Decision Sciences)
- Experience with Immunology therapeutic area
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.