Procurement Manager - Legal Services & Patents
We lead our industry in our development of a strong and multifaceted pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do groundbreaking and outstanding work that has a big impact on science and medicine!
The legal industry is at an inflection point, where digital, AI and automation is disrupting and transforming the way the legal services have historically been supplied to clients. The role has the opportunity to craft a fresh approach to the category with a focus on driving innovative commercial deals, supplier collaboration and innovation, a digitalized supplier landscape as well as crafting a stronger relationship between the Procurement and Legal functions.
This role will be responsible for leading all of the global procurement interactions with AstraZeneca’s inhouse Legal function. This is an exciting opportunity to shape the interactions with the Legal Senior Management team and form close working relationships with key senior members of the Global Legal function, across Legal Operations, Litigation, Intellectual Property, Corporate Legal & our International Markets.
This is a critical role in ensuring we are improving value when engaging with our legal service providers in a progressive way. In this role, you will be responsible for establishing and evaluating pricing proposals for legal engagements, supervising and leading our legal spend effectively, analyzing our billing data to advise decision-making, and demonstrating data and analytics to enable data-driven decisions.
- Overall accountability for Procurement of legal services for AstraZeneca.
- Responsible for crafting and embedding the legal category strategy.
- Lead the management of RFPs (Requests for Proposals).
- Optimize our outside counsel portfolio, determining where and when preferred providers or convergence might make sense.
- Assess rate increases and matter spend among our portfolio of firms and compare to market as appropriate. Develop creative strategies and analyses to promote smart legal spend through appropriate fee arrangements.
- Run budget versus actual analyses on historical matters to advise pricing and strategy on current matters and improve future budget adherence.
- Drive fee-related communications and negotiations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinates the introduction of new and modified products and services with appropriate departments
- Analyses and resolves issues raised in procurement audit reports
- Advises on contracts and agreements for the supply of sophisticated products and services with new and existing suppliers
- Develops, evaluates or leads internal and external relationships with suppliers, Category Teams and other cross-functional teams
- Indirectly leads a Procurement team, establishing and communicating strategic direction, providing business context, mentor and direction to enable the team to meet its performance targets
- 5-7 years applicable procurement, Legal Operations, or law firm pricing experience
- Bachelor's Degree required, advanced degree (such as an MBA, MS, JD) a plus
- Pharmaceutical Procurement or law firm experience a definite plus but not required
- Demonstrated leadership / management and business partnership skills
- Strong communication, cross functional collaboration and influencing skills
- Outstanding track record driving procurement's value proposition
- Supplier Relationship Management and Development experience
- Ability to demonstrate a range of influencing techniques
- Proven ability to lead change
- Strong analytical and financial skills
- Ability to work in highly sophisticated and fluid environment
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you. Apply today.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.