Director, Clinical Acumen, Respiratory Inhaled, Biologics & Infectious Disease
The Learning Director of Respiratory is part of the Commercial Learning Innovation Centre reporting to the Head of Commercial Learning Innovation Centre.
The Director of Respiratory Learning and Development has accountability for the leading the function responsible for building/enhancing the clinical acumen of the Commercial sales organization in the US (including new hire to experienced learning journey). The Director must balance the immediate demand with future-facing activity that will ensure the US business has the right capabilities to meet the changing demands of the AZ strategy
A key focus of the role is to help create a recognized, sought after, innovative learning organization, both inside and outside of AZ, that is at the heart of building a world class commercial organization and creating a culture of life long learning. The leader will create a high performing and well respected team within the US business that works across functional areas such as sales, marketing, medical, etc to develop strategies that deliver the right capabilities at the right time to the business and its’ customers. In addition, the leader in this role will be accountable for delivering and assessing the clinical learning journey for sales professionals regarding AZ products, their competitors and the associated disease states for both US and customizing to G8 markets.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Establishes the vision for the team aligned with business/brand strategy, inspiring the US organization to build commercial capabilities that can deliver against the AZ USLT vision/strategy.
The below responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities and requirements.
- Inspires ownership, accountability, initiative, and engagement within the entire team. Regularly communicates AZ's vision, embraces CLIC’s ambition and strategic priorities, business objectives, performance outcomes, and future action steps.
- Develops people and the organization by investing in long-term development of others through intentional mentoring, coaching, and continuous feedback.
- Creates and continually fosters a climate of trust so team members can act decisively by clarifying roles/responsibilities and establishing boundaries of decision-making.
- Focuses on delivering on a few high-impact opportunities by implementing therapeutic area specific approaches based upon their needs and preferences.
- Accurately acknowledges both the broad environmental context of situations and the needs/motivations of others (i.e., excellent insight into how to get things done and they know who they need to influence and why).
- Has the ability to identify issues and opportunities before others, and uses robust analytical rigor to frame situations and incorporate new perspectives and ideas.
- Anticipates and/or removes obstacles for others to that teams/workgroups can deliver results and succeed.
- Establishes business objectives, assesses performance, and addresses skill development for direct reports to ensure appropriate portfolio management, including opportunities for career development.
- Holds final accountability for all content and learning assets, timelines, and operational budget
- Manages development of metrics to monitor curriculum effectiveness, adjusting plans as appropriate to deliver improved performance
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong competencies in creating a culture of engagement, strategic thinking, innovation and project management. Collaborative communication competency with brand teams, senior sales leaders, sales executives in the field to help shape customer perceptions of AZ learning journey
- Relentless drive and ability to align actions with learning plans, and can understand and evaluate the potential impact of external events on the organizational/learning strategies
- Previous experience leading sales or learning teams in the pharmaceutical or related industry
- Ability to present and effectively communicate ideas in large groups as well as one-on-one sessions
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor individuals on selling skills, product information, and leadership capabilities
- Strong collaboration and networking skills in order to effectively influence peers and decision making.
- History of developing skills in account planning and management, including goal setting and resource allocation
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with ability to establish credibility with key stakeholders
- Ability to lead in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple priorities, adapt, and promote change
- Demonstrated strategic and analytical thinking skills
- Previous job experience establishing and meeting deadlines, identifying and mitigating risks
- Bachelor's degree, with minimum of 10 years experience in pharmaceutical sales or health care, including 3-5 years of leading teams
- Formal experience in learning and development, curriculum design, or delivery in live and virtual setting
- Other operational, global, or marketing experience preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, project and vendor management skills
- Travel required on a quarterly basis for regional and national meetings, conference and field visits
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.