Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemist, Early Oncology TDE
Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemist, Early Oncology TDE
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven, integrated biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society. We discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines for important areas of healthcare, which include some of the world’s most serious illnesses: cancer, cardiovascular disease, respiratory, inflammation, and autoimmune diseases. We are driven by a shared goal to make a positive impact on the lives of patients with these serious diseases. Oncology is a core therapy area and growth platform at AstraZeneca and our vision is to deliver life-changing medicines that improve outcomes for patients most in need.
As a Medicinal Chemist (Senior Scientist) inthe Early Oncology TDE group in Waltham, MA you’ll play an important role in advancing new oncology drug projects to make a positive impact on patients’ lives. This is a hands-on laboratory position within a world leading global medicinal chemistry group with a history of delivery and innovation. At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are dedicated to building strong research teams that embrace the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
- Medicinal chemist supporting oncology drug discovery programs through design and synthesis of potential drugs.
- Design and safely perform experiments, working independently as well as part of a team, propose synthetic routes for new analogs.
- Produce quality results in an efficient and timely manner.
- Collect, analyze and interpret project data, recognize aberrant results, and propose explanations including plans for follow-up experiments.
- Drive improvements to projects and department through sharing best practices
- Maintain clear and accurate records of experimental work in lab notebooks
- Prepare summaries of work for presentation in reports, patent applications and presentations.
- Publish work in high quality peer reviewed journals and presents work both externally and internally.
- Stay up-to-date with literature in synthetic organic chemistry, advances in medicinal chemistry, and advances in broader modalities that influence oncology research.
- Act in accordance with all AstraZeneca policies on personnel, safety/health/environment regulations, best laboratory practice, and Code of Conduct.
- Ph.D./Postdoc in synthetic organic chemistry (0-5 years industry experience) with good track record of publications
- Detailed and up-to-date knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry.
- Experience in route design and synthesis of large, complex molecules.
- No prior medicinal chemistry experience required, although experience in physical organic chemistry as it pertains to medicinal chemistry is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of safe operating practices.
- Proficient in experimental design and laboratory equipment.
- Developed understanding of how individual work impacts the project team's objectives and R&D discovery.
- Leads by example with research integrity and work ethic
- Is reliable, showing commitment to team goals and timelines
- Shows respect for colleagues and passion for learning. Readily acquires new skills and techniques.
- Proactively shares expertise and ideas, demonstrates flexibility and open-mindedness
- Able to effectively work in a team and to communicate with colleagues at all levels. Is candid and honest in discussions
- Has a 'can do’ attitude, maintains consistent work level and motivation despite negative results
- Entrepreneurial – seeking out improved solutions to challenging problems
- About The Site
The Waltham R&D site is home to our small-molecule oncology research in North America and is situated within a biopharma cluster of academic research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and biotech startups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for biotech research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space.
The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It’s home to more than 800 scientists and experts working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs.
Next Steps – Apply today!
- At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
- To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.