Senior Scientist, DMPK
Senior Scientist, DMPK
AstraZeneca is a biopharmaceutical company with a mission to bring a difference to health through medicines that benefit patients in need and add value to society. We discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines for areas of healthcare, which include some of the world’s most serious illnesses: cancer, cardiovascular disease, respiratory, inflammation, and autoimmune diseases. We are driven to make a positive change in the lives of patients with these diseases.
Oncology R&D is a major focus area and growth platform at AstraZeneca. Our vision is to be at the forefront of developing the new generation of cancer therapies. We work together across all boundaries to have a positive impact in the world by solving complicated problems. Our team is growing, and we have an opportunity as a Senior Scientist that will play a role in helping us to direct our capabilities toward improving patients’ lives.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment, and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are building a strong research teams that embraces the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health!
The Oncology Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics department is looking for an individual who has a passion for DMPK science, applied to Cancer biology. As a DMPK Representative/Design Lead Scientist you will have the opportunity to provide input into drug discovery and development across the global Oncology portfolio which includes; small molecules, biologics, Antibody Drug Conjugates (ADCs), nano-medicines and PROTACs. The qualified candidate will work closely with our established DMPK teams in Boston (US) and Cambridge (UK) where the successful scientist will join our problem solving capability.
The role holder will contribute by:
- Working together with Chemistry and Bioscience counterparts, for the collaborative optimization of compound design and project Design/Make/Test cycles
- Leading DMPK-related compound design activities to ensure project ADME challenges are thoroughly assessed and resolved from HTS work-up to candidate nomination through risk mitigation and/or structural modification
- Analyzing DMPK experimental data in relation to chemical structure to help understand DMPK, safety and efficacy related issues and defining strategies to optimize the overall properties of new compounds
- Applying an understanding of DMPK, physico-chemical property assays and/or biotransformation reactions to discovery project chemistry and data
- Designing, commissioning and conducting appropriate experimental studies to support compound design, selection and project progression
- Recommending, initiating, leading and championing new innovations from external, global and local DMPK project science strategies that ensure science is applied to drug project issues
- Carrying out collaborative research aligned to DMPK and Oncology objectives and publishing research papers and reviews in internationally recognized journals
- Bringing a fresh perspective into the group and the passion to seek new challenges and learn new skills.
- Supporting the department’s leadership team in both the strategic vision for the department and in the efficient and progressive running of the department.
▪ Degree in Chemistry/Biochemistry/Pharmacology with experience in drug discovery, or a higher degree in a research area relevant to DMPK science. 0-4 years relevant experience.
▪ Good technical knowledge of DMPK and Physical Chemistry science with an ability to delineate the impact of chemical structure on measured properties.
▪ Practical experience of DMPK or Physical Chemistry assay delivery including experimentation, assessment of assay quality and troubleshooting of data issues
▪ Generate, apply and interpret predictive models for in-vitro and in-combo DMPK data to allow virtual screening of new compound designs
▪ Excellent interpersonal skills that lead to successful collaborative working relationships
▪ Understanding of the drug discovery process and how DMPK studies contribute to that process
▪ Desire to carry out scientific development and research work with a view to publishing collaboratively
▪ Strong customer focus with the ability to have robust discussions with project leaders to ensure that project, scientific and resource demands are aligned.
About The Site
The Waltham R&D site is our small-molecule oncology research in North America, and is situated within a biopharma cluster of academic research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and biotech startups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for biotech research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space.
The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It is home to more than 800 scientists and specialists working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be an excellent fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.