Senior Scientist Chemistry - CB- Chemical Biology
Senior Scientist Chemistry - CB- Chemical Biology
AstraZeneca is a global, science-driven biopharmaceutical company. We are dedicated to discovering, developing, and delivering innovative, meaningful medicines and healthcare solutions that enrich the lives of patients. In AstraZeneca Oncology, our goal is to be at the forefront of developing the next generation of cancer therapies.
Team player responsible for the design, synthesis and strategies around chemical tools/probes and their application towards target ID, target engagement, and mechanism of action studies. An ideal candidate will have hands-on experience in quantitative proteomics experiments and/or experiences in biological target validation methods.
The Senior Scientist Chemistry – CB will be accountable for specified aspects of the chemical biology strategies according to the project objectives that include:
- Designing and delivering on time to projects with the highest scientific standards, utilizing proteomics-based methods such as chemoproteomics pull-downs, photocrosslinking and global proteomics to address specific biological questions.
- Collaborating with the chemical biology proteomics platform for technical design and with quantitative biology for statistical analysis and downstream pathway analysis.
- Setting and maintaining the highest scientific standards in design and synthesis of small molecules.
- Embedded into drug discovery project teams, demonstrating effective engagement with other disciplines (e.g. chemistry, biosciences, safety).
- Actively contribute and advance the scientific direction of projects as a member of cross-functional teams through regular attendance of project team meetings, presentation of their data and contribute to the overall success of the project.
- Contribute to publication strategy as needed, driving timely preparation and delivery of patents/research publications in collaboration with IP group.
- To evaluate and manage relations with external collaborations when and as needed.
- Leading local discovery working groups, participate actively in global groups or global activities.
- Scope and internalize new methods for target identification and mechanistic studies.
- Ensure compliance with corporate policies including GLS and SHE.
Will require a minimum: PhD in chemical biology or chemistry with postdoctoral experience (0-3+ yrs.) in chemical biology, or similar disciplines. Will have the ability to operate effectively in multidisciplinary matrix research environment, providing leadership and insight in their discipline. This role demands significant experience of interacting with people and groups both internal and external.
The ideal candidate should:
- Be familiar with chemical biology principles and technologies, and their application to small molecule target identification, engagement and validation.
- Independently design and execute target identification and validation experiments for cellular signaling pathway interrogation, hypothesis testing and practical knowledge with suitable biological models and positive and negative small molecule controls.
- Should be versed in numerous small molecule bio-orthogonal conjugation approaches applicable to in-lysate and live cell chemical pull-down experiments.
- Familiarity with bottom-up mass spectrometry-based applications for in cell and in-vitro quantitative proteomics.
- Preferably have an understanding of cell biology and biochemistry techniques, such as cell lysing, protein extraction and identification.
- Be active in Chemical Biology forums and publication record in the field (communications to symposiums, peer reviewed journal articles and/or patent applications).
Areas of expertise/specialization
- Experience and track record in chemical biology and synthetic chemistry.
- Awareness of recent development in literature in the field of chemical biology as well as synthetic & medicinal chemistry both inside and outside AstraZeneca.
- Good communication and networking skills.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.