Senior Scientist- Chemical Biology & Proteomics
Senior Scientist- Chemical Biology & Proteomics
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines that make a positive impact on the lives of patients as well as their families and communities. At AstraZeneca, our vision is redefining cancer, redefining our solutions to cancer and restoring patients' lives. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are dedicated to building strong research teams that embrace the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
As a Scientist you will be a key contributor to our Proteomics Mass Spectrometry (MS) Platform and join the AstraZeneca interdisciplinary state-of-the-art Chemical Biology team. You will develop MS-based analytical methods and protocols to study drug induced proteome dynamics, investigation of post-translational modifications, characterization of clinical and preclinical samples. The position requires hands-on expertise with mass spectrometry and chromatography techniques applied towards clinical biospecin and translational research. You will be responsible for establishing standard methods and procedures for automated sample handling, processing, and analysis as well as maintenance and troubleshooting of mass spectrometry systems. The primary responsibility will be to generate and interpret proteomics data supporting oncology, cardiovascular, renal, metabolic and respiratory therapeutic areas using nanoflow liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry instrumentation including, (Q-Exactive, Q-HF, Fusion Lumos, Orbtrap Exploris and Orbitrap Eclipse)
You must be proactive, able to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with various project teams, across scientific disciplines such as chemistry, molecular biology, and safety to contribute to iterative experimental design and mechanistic hypotheses generation through the interpretation of complex proteomics data.
You are expected to possess strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment, regularly presenting internal updates and contributing to publication strategy in high level peer-reviewed journals and international conferences.
PhD in Proteomics, Mass spectrometry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or similar discipline with a minimum of 1 year postdoctoral experience.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate expertise with proteomics clinical sample analysis of plasma, serum, and urine.
- Operate effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix research environment, providing leadership and insight in their discipline. This role demands a significant experience of interacting with both internal and external collaborators.
- Proven ability to independently drive and lead scientific, strategic and operational aspects of studies to completion.
- Demonstrated expertise in quantitative mass spectrometry-based proteomics and data analysis pipelines for in-vitro and ex-vivo quantitative proteomics applications.
- Highly self-motivated, with excellent attention to detail and strong organizational and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Engagement in hands-on bench work is expected
- Creative and independent scientific thinking to solve complex technical and scientific problems.
- Ability to work independently yet team-oriented. Capable of building strong relationships with peers, partners outside of function and customers.
Areas of expertise/specialization
- Extensive knowledge and proven experience with handling, processing and analyzing various clinical samples, such as plasma, serum, urine, tissues, CSF matrices.
- Experience with Data Independent Acquisition methodology applied to large scale clinical studies.
- Experience with clinical proteomics and biobanking and laboratory information management systems
- Experience in protein isolation from cells, tissues and biofluids, sub-cellular fractionation, immuno- or chemical affinity enrichment to selectively enrich proteins from complex biological systems
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience with proteomics sample preparation techniques and LC/MS based method development and data processing for large-scale protein characterization and quantification applications.
- Proficiency using Thermo Orbitrap mass spectrometers and nanoLC’s: Q-Exactive, Q-HF, Fusion Lumos, Orbitrap Exploris and Orbitrap Eclipse and EASYnLC 1200™ and Ultimate 3000 RSLCnano systems.
- Expertise in multi-dimensional LC fractionation and high-throughput quantitative proteomics methodologies such as TMT®, iTRAQ®, SILAC and/or Label-free approaches and DIA, data independent acquisition.
- Experience in the characterization of post-translational modifications, phosphorylation and ubiquitination.
- Mass Spectrometric data analysis using Xcalibur™, Proteome Discoverer™, MaxQuant, Skyline, Spectronaut™ and DB search engine tools.
- Experience with, liquid handling systems, and robotic automation.
Next Steps – Apply today!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.