Senior Scientist- Chemical Biology & Proteomics
Senior Scientist- Chemical Biology & Proteomics
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines that make a positive impact on the lives of patients as well as their families and communities. At AstraZeneca, our vision is redefining cancer, redefining our solutions to cancer and restoring patients' lives. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society.
Join a dedicated Oncology team that’s growing fast and building a strong track record of success. Our pioneering approach is identifying and treating patients earlier, focusing on early stage cancer trials and listening and evolving based on their needs. As a team we are deeply committed to transforming the lives of patients living with cancer – with the ultimate aim of eliminating cancer as a cause of death. There’s no better place to make an impact – here we are uniquely placed with the funding, the ambition and the bravery to make it happen.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are dedicated to building strong research teams that embrace the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
Due to an expansion of our work in the discovery of novel drug targets we are seeking an enthusiastic Scientist to join our Proteomics Mass Spectrometry (MS) team within the AstraZeneca interdisciplinary Chemical Biology and Proteomics department. You will develop MS-based analytical methods and protocols for discovery based proteomics to understand drug induced proteome dynamics, to investigate post-translational modifications (PTM) and to characterize preclinical and clinical samples. The position requires hands-on expertise with mass spectrometry and chromatography techniques applied towards pre-clinical and clinical translational research. You will be responsible for establishing novel methods and procedures, data processing and analysis as well as developing our state-of-the-are mass spectrometry systems. You will be accountable for the generation and interpretation of proteomics data supporting oncology, cardiovascular, renal, metabolic and respiratory therapeutic areas using nanoflow liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry instrumentation including, (Q-Exactive, Q-HF, Fusion Lumos, Orbitrap Exploris, Eclipse and tims TOF)
We are looking for a proactive and enthusiastic scientist, able to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with project teams across scientific disciplines such as chemistry, molecular biology, and safety to contribute to iterative experimental design and mechanistic hypotheses generation through the interpretation of complex proteomics data.
You will possess strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment, regularly presenting internal updates and contributing to publication strategy in high level peer-reviewed journals and international conferences.
- Experience designing and implementing proteomics experiments to enable drug discovery programs using high resolution mass spectrometry and related bioinformatic tools.
- Demonstrated expertise in quantitative mass spectrometry-based proteomics and data analysis pipelines for in-vitro and ex-vivo quantitative proteomics applications.
- Presentation of experimental results, analysis, and plans to drug discovery project teams to the advance the scientific direction of the drug project.
- Proven ability to independently drive and lead scientific, strategic and operational aspects of studies to completion.
- Highly self-motivated, with excellent attention to detail and strong organizational and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Creative and independent scientific thinking to solve complex technical and scientific problems.
- Contribute to publications by conducting independent research and collaboratively within multidisciplinary matrix environment.
- Operate effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix research environment, providing leadership and insight in the discipline. This role demands a significant experience of interacting with both internal and external collaborators.
- PhD in Proteomics, Mass spectrometry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or similar discipline with 2+ years postdoctoral experience.
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience with proteomics sample preparation techniques, LC/MS based method development and data processing for large-scale quantitative proteomics applications.
- Experience in protein isolation from cells, tissues and biofluids, sub-cellular fractionation, immuno- or chemical affinity enrichment to selectively enrich proteins from complex biological systems.
- Proficiency using Thermo Orbitrap mass spectrometers and nanoLC’s: Q-Exactive, QE-HF, Fusion Lumos, Orbitrap Exploris and Orbitrap Eclipse and EASYnLC 1200™ and Ultimate 3000 RSLCnano systems.
- Experience with liquid handling systems, and robotic automation is a plus.
About The Site
The Waltham R&D site focuses on our small-molecule oncology research in North America, and is situated within a biopharma cluster of research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and startups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space.
The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It is home to more than 800 scientists working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.