Senior Scientist, Analytical Chemist, NMR Spectroscopist, Oncology R&D
Senior Scientist, Analytical Chemist, NMR Spectroscopist, Oncology R&D
As an Analytical and Structural Chemist, NMR Spectroscopist (Senior Scientist) inthe Oncology R&D Chemistry group in Waltham, MA you’ll play an important role in advancing new oncology drug projects to make a positive impact on patients’ lives. This is a hands-on laboratory position within a world leading global medicinal chemistry group with a history of delivery and innovation. At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
We are global, innovation-driven, integrated biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society. We discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines for important areas of healthcare, which include some of the world’s most serious illnesses: cancer, cardiovascular disease, respiratory, inflammation, and autoimmune diseases. We are driven by a shared goal to make a positive impact on the lives of patients with these serious diseases. Oncology is a core therapy area and growth platform at AstraZeneca and our vision is to deliver life-changing medicines that improve outcomes for patients most in need.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are dedicated to building strong research teams that embrace the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
- Analytical and structural chemist supporting oncology drug discovery programs through NMR based analyses of traditional drug-like molecules and new drug modalities.
- Produce quality results in an efficient and timely manner on multiple concurrent projects.
- Prepare summaries of work for presentation in reports and presentations.
- Strong problem-solving skills in structural and quantitative NMR.
- Collect, analyze and interpret NMR data, recognize aberrant results, and propose explanations including plans for follow-up experiments.
- Contribute innovative structural and physical chemistry solutions to overcome chemical synthesis and drug design problems and advance drug discovery projects.
- Foster and nurture innovation in structural and physical chemistry to optimize current and future business delivery through discipline development.
- Contribute and drive development/strengthening of Open Access capability, including training of medicinal chemists on NMR systems and platforms.
- Contribute to maintaining state-of-the-art skills, facilities and infrastructure within Oncology Chemistry through evaluation and implementation of new technologies, techniques and concepts.
- Contribute to improvements in technology, process, and infrastructure within the discipline of structural and physical chemistry and across the laboratory environment.
- Develop and implement solutions for data mining & lab automation and, together with our IT experts, derive strategies for innovative data management approaches across different analytical platforms.
- Publish work in high quality peer reviewed journals; present work both externally and internally.
- Stay current with NMR literature, analytical and structural chemistry, and advances in broader modalities that influence oncology research.
- Create a vibrant and entrepreneurial organization focused on innovation and project delivery.
- Lead by example in collaborating closely with scientists across the discovery organization.
- Act in accordance with all AstraZeneca policies on personnel, safety/health/environment regulations, best laboratory practice, and Code of Conduct.
- Ph.D./Postdoc in NMR spectroscopy (0-5 years industry experience) or Master’s degree with significant industry experience in NMR, with good track record of publications.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team which includes experts in computational chemistry, medicinal chemistry, and organic synthesis.
- Detailed and up-to-date knowledge of NMR spectroscopy and Bruker spectrometers.
- Experience with structural and analytical software, such as MNova, ACD/Labs database and predictive analytics.
- Familiarity with molecular visualization software, and other analytical and structural chemistry methods (LCMS, HRMS) advantageous.
- Knowledge and understanding of safe operating practices.
- Proficient in experimental design and laboratory equipment.
- Develops understanding of how his/her own work impacts the project team's objectives and R&D discovery.
- Leads by example with research integrity and work ethic.
- Is reliable, showing commitment to team goals and timelines.
- Shows respect for colleagues and passion for learning. Readily acquires new skills and techniques.
- Proactively shares expertise and ideas, demonstrates flexibility and open-mindedness.
- Able to effectively work in a team and to communicate with colleagues at all levels. Is candid and honest in discussions.
- Has a 'can do’ attitude, maintains consistent work level and motivation despite negative results.
- Entrepreneurial – seeking out improved solutions to challenging problems.
- AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
- To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.