Senior Director, Global Product Lead
At AstraZeneca, we are committed to advancing the science of oncology to deliver life-changing medicines to patients most in need. With a combination-focused pipeline that exploits the power of six scientific platforms (Immuno-Oncology, Tumor Drivers and Resistance, DNA Damage Response, Antibody-drug Conjugates, Cell Therapy and Epigenetics) to help address unmet clinical needs in a host of cancers, we are motivated by a dedication to the scientific discovery and collaboration that will one day help eliminate cancer as a cause of death. We currently have nearly 100 Phase 1, 2, 3 and Lifecycle Management Oncology projects in our robust pipeline. We deliver the Research & Development for Oncology through our Oncology R&D Unit. This unit has responsibility for the value chain from discovery through to late-stage development, enabling rapid acceleration of promising early-stage assets and life-cycle management programs.
The Sr. Director Global Product Lead will have overall leadership of multiple global cross-functional Product Development Teams (PDT) across diverse biological mechanisms from candidate selection through Phase III investment decision across 3 of the major platforms (IO, ADC, Cell Therapy). This individual will be accountable for the strategic leadership and execution and act as the champion for the product candidates. The successful candidate will have oncology clinical drug development experience, demonstrated leadership, and be able to critically navigate the science that underlies these programs. The candidate should be able to effectively communicate across a broad range of audiences and have an ability to clearly articulate project specific strategies as well as the overall oncology strategy.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads product development teams responsible for novel Oncology therapies from preclinical candidate selection through proof of concept leading to Phase III investment decisions. Accountable for the strategy and execution of a portfolio of pre-clinical and clinical stage therapies.
- Create strategic and integrated product development plans which are aligned with business objectives and are differentiated from competitor products.
- Accountable for the execution of the integrated product plan to agreed scope, timelines, and budgets
- Leads and communicates the project development strategy at governance meetings, accountable for aligning with internal management and for communicating with external stakeholders.
- Leads the PDT to effectively manage/mitigate/communicate risk, make decisions, and manage conflict and change.
- Responsible for maintaining a high degree of PDT effectiveness through collaboration, influence, and, as necessary, coaching and mentoring of cross-functional team members.
Education: Graduate degree such as M.D. or Ph.D. is required
- Industry experience in drug development including experience in early phase non-clinical and/or clinical drug development and regulatory knowledge.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the Oncology therapeutic area with experience in diverse biological mechanisms.
- Broad understanding of the evolving clinical landscape in oncology
- lead the overall development of project strategy and be accountable for project plans, timelines, progress, and outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience leading and motivating teams in a highly matrixed environment.
- Proven record of cultivating and managing internal and external cross-functional collaborations
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated success in influencing colleagues and senior leaders in various departments.
- Must demonstrate high integrity.
- Experience in the development of biologics is highly desirable.
- Experience in more than one therapeutic area as well as global late phase (II/III) drug development, regulatory submissions, and product launches is a plus.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.