Project Toxicologist - Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences (CPSS)
Are you passionate about working for a global health care company who truly puts patients first, and like to apply your toxicology expertise in a company that is accelerating innovative science and turns ideas into life changing medicines?
AstraZeneca discovers and develops medicines in 4 core areas of Oncology, Respiratory and Immunology (R&I), and Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolic Disease (CVRM). Oncology Safety, a global department within the Clinical Pharmacology and Safety Sciences (CPSS) function, is looking to recruit experienced Project Toxicologists to join their teams to develop and advance our portfolio of innovative anti-cancer medicines in Oncology R&D.
As the Project Toxicologist at AstraZeneca you will work at the forefront of toxicology and safety science, working in a multidisciplinary environment where you will play a key role in progressing a rich and diverse pipeline which includes small molecules, cutting-edge mAb-based therapeutics, antibody conjugates, next generation cellular and viral therapies. You will combine your experience in toxicology and drug development with strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate across all levels of internal and external partners.
CPSS is a diverse international department with Project Toxicologists based at several AstraZeneca sites (Gaithersburg and Boston [US] and Cambridge [UK]). For this recruitment the focus is to bring experienced Project Toxicologists into our organization with flexibility as to location of the roles.
As a Project Toxicologist, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Designing, interpreting and delivering toxicology research programs to enable candidate drug selection and early clinical development. Experience with marketing applications and post-marketing nonclinical support are a plus.
- Delivering quality nonclinical summaries and other high-level regulatory documents for internal decision bodies and external health authorities.
- Leading the toxicology input to AstraZeneca project teams and interacting with external health authorities. The Project Toxicologist will operate across international boundaries within CPSS and across R&D functions in AstraZeneca to lead and manage projects and stakeholders.
- Exploring drug project safety risks and developing risk mitigation strategies by combining data from traditional toxicological methods with data from cutting edge in vitro model systems, ‘Omics techniques, advanced imaging technologies, and computational tools to build mechanistic understanding.
- Providing specialist nonclinical expertise for evaluation of in-licensing and out-licensing opportunities.
- Supporting the delivery of the departmental strategy and objectives.
- A PhD in toxicology, pharmacology or a related field is preferred. Bachelors degree required with relevant experience in Toxicology or equivalent life-science subject will be considered.
- Experience working as a Project Toxicologist within a pharmaceutical project environment
- Able to working independently and deliver toxicology risk assessments in drug development.
- Strong project leadership skills required to own the safety assessment contribution to a portfolio of global oncology safety projects and with an ability to collaborate and operate with sensitivity and flexibility in a matrix project environment
- Willingness to challenge conventional thinking and implement creative ideas balanced with a high regard and understanding for the regulatory framework in which AstraZeneca operates
- A social personality with strong inter-personal skills that contributes to our team culture in which trust, cooperative support, diversity and inclusion enable engaged and motivated colleagues to deliver and develop
- In CPSS, we seek to stimulate continued creativity throughout our organisation by maintaining a culture in which our people feel valued, energised and rewarded for their ideas and contribution to our success. And we support and encourage our people in discovering their own potential, through excellent learning and development opportunities that are available to them throughout their careers. Due to the diverse nature of the AstraZeneca Oncology portfolio, we have opportunities for Project Toxicologists to support a range of modalities across various phases of development.
If you are a Project Toxicologist with experience in the development of pharmaceuticals we would like to hear from you!
AstraZeneca is a leading company in the healthcare industry, with a mission to enrich the lives of others. It’s our business to support healthy living, not only for our patients, but also for our employees. Our benefits program is flexible enough to meet employees’ varying needs, offers valuable choices, and is highly driven.
Come and join our journey - Apply today!
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media:
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.