Data Scientists, Computational DMPK & Safety
Data Scientists in Computational ADME & Safety to join the Computational ADME & Safety team
At AstraZeneca we win through science, it’s at the heart of our every success. That science is only possible when we all work together – we’ll always make sure you’re clear about how your role is connected to our wider mission to really show what science can do.
We are looking to recruit Data Scientists in Computational ADME & Safety to join the Computational ADME & Safety team within the Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences (CPSS) function at AstraZeneca’s vibrant R&D sites in Waltham MA, Gothenburg, Sweden or Cambridge, UK.
Clinical Pharmacology & Safety Sciences (CPSS) is a function within our Biopharmaceuticals R&D Unit. The role of CPSS is to characterize absorption, disposition, metabolism and elimination (ADME) properties of compounds, non-clinical toxicology and off-target pharmacology. Working in disease-focused project teams we help to discover efficacious molecules with good safety profiles. CPSS is committed to be an industry leader in supporting the discovery and non-clinical development of safe medicines that improve patients’ lives. Within CPSS, the Computational ADME & Safety team is dedicated towards developing computational models to aid projects to design and select molecules with the right safety and ADME profiles.
As a Data Scientist in Computational ADME & Safety, you will work with cutting edge technology in an open and collaborative environment nursing novel ideas. The group has strong focus on method development within the computational area, acknowledging the need to in depth understanding of the safety or ADME properties of interest. Collaboration within and outside CPSS is essential.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a Data Scientist in Computational ADME & Safety, your main responsibilities will involve:
- You will have the opportunity to apply Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence and mechanistic modeling approaches to ADME and safety endpoints assuring delivery of appropriate tools and in silico models to projects for virtual screening, compound selection and experimental prioritization.
- Analyze data and model quality ensuring high performance of models and tools
- You’ll provide specialist support for development, interpretation and application of machine learning models along with knowledge of common database query languages e.g. SQL
- Support analyses to provide mechanistic and translational insight into compound ADME and Safety profiles
- Method development to improve models and enhance model value and generated knowledge
- BSc degree (or equivalent) in life science, statistics or computer science, preferably with industry experience
- Demonstrated knowledge in one or more of the following areas
- Expertise in a variety of machine learning methods (e.g. Deep Learning, SVM, Random Forrest)
- Computational chemistry, Computational toxicology or Cheminformatics
- Expertise in high-performance computing and programming (e.g. Python, C++, Java). Experience using cloud platforms are beneficial.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a multidisciplinary research environment
- Innovative thinking, with enthusiasm, energy and drive.
- Open-minded, and ready to embrace new ideas and different perspectives.
- Strong critical thinking, planning, organizational and time management skills.
- PhD (or equivalent) in life science, statistics or computer science
- Biological understanding of toxicology and/or drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics (DMPK) and modeling of ADME or safety endpoints
Roles can be based in either Waltham, MA, US Cambridge, UK, or Gothenburg, Sweden
- Next Steps – Apply today!
- To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.