Associate Director, Translational PKPD Modeling & DMPK
Associate Director, Translational PKPD Modeling &DMPK (Oncology)
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical company driven by what science can do. We are dedicated to discovering, developing, and delivering innovative, meaningful medicines and healthcare solutions that enrich the lives of patients. The vision of AstraZeneca Oncology is to redefine cancer, redefine our solutions to cancer, and restore patients' lives. To achieve this, we have an exciting and diverse portfolio that focuses on four scientific platforms that we believe show the greatest potential for yielding effective medicines for cancer patients. These scientific platforms include; Immuno-Oncology (IO), Tumor Drivers & Resistance (TDR), DNA Damage Response (DDR) and Antibody Drug Conjugates (ADC) and we are developing therapeutic agents across multiple modalities including; small molecules, biologics, Antibody Drug Conjugates (ADCs), nano-medicines and PROTACs.
The Oncology DMPK department provides drug metabolism & pharmacokinetic, as well as translational PKPD modeling & simulation support to our portfolio. Translational PKPD Modeling & Simulation scientists occupy high profile, visible roles within Early Oncology. We are looking for a senior individual who has a passion for PKPD modeling and DMPK science, applied to Cancer biology, with the experience of working in both discovery and development.
As a senior Translational PKPD Modeling & Simulation scientist, you will have the opportunity to drive strategy and provide global leadership in PKPD science across our diverse portfolio. Your day-to-day role is to provide projects with expert modeling input into exploring the PK/PD/Efficacy in pre-clinical models, and using these models in order to iteratively build an understanding of the dose & schedule requirements for therapeutic intervention across different patient populations as a single agent and combined with other agents.
The role holder will contribute to DMPK Modeling and Simulation by:
- Representing Oncology DMPK and providing overall scientific leadership for cross functional and external collaborations involving DMPK.
- Exploring the effects on target and pathway to understand the requirements for efficacy and set a candidate drug target profile (CDTP).
- Predicting human dose and regimen together with providing input into exposure and pharmacodynamic (PD) biomarker based decision criteria for early clinical trials.
- Driving learning through back translation of early clinical exposure and PD data and providing prioritized future options for clinical testing.
- Leading and participating in Oncology strategic scientific initiatives and continuous improvement projects by providing expert M&S knowledge.
- Having a breadth of influence and impact across AstraZeneca DMPK and externally within their discipline.
- Identifying, championing and developing new ideas.
- Leading scientific discipline networks and acting as a focus for debate within the AstraZeneca scientific community.
- Advising on and participating in the development of Discovery or Development strategies in PKPD for biologics/ADCs/small molecules.
- Managing student and Post Doc programmes.
- Leading external collaborative projects with academic or cross-pharma pre-competitive groups.
- Providing disciplinary scientific leadership and presenting work through patents, publications and lectures.
- PhD or equivalent degree in a discipline with a significant component of Modeling & Simulation, such as systems biology, quantitative pharmacology, pharmacometrics, chemical engineering, physics, pharmaceutical sciences or applied mathematics.
- At least 7+ years of relevant industry experience in Modeling & Simulation, ideally in preclinical/translational setting, or a MS degree with at least 10+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience in a project-facing role at pharmaceutical R&D.
- Comprehensive understanding of DMPK and pharmacology/safety aspects of drug discovery and development with a strong publication record.
- Track record of supporting PK, PKPD and TKPD aspects of projects, with a delivery focus and ability to meet timelines to pre-specified quality and cost.
- Specialist in tools such as WinNonLin/Phoenix NLME, NonMem, Berkeley Madonna, MATLAB, and SimCYP.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong influence and leadership skills.
- Experience in providing modeling support for other modalities in addition to small molecules is a plus.
About The Site
The Waltham R&D site is home to our small-molecule oncology research in North America, and is situated within a biopharma cluster of academic research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and biotech startups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for biotech research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space.
The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It is home to more than 800 scientists and experts working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.