Associate Director, Oncology Chemistry
Associate Director, Oncology Chemistry Waltham, MA
*Throughout the year we will be expanding our chemistry group. Please check our career page frequently for all our new chemistry opportunities. Visit our Oncology R&D career page:https://careers.astrazeneca.com/oncology-r-and-d
AstraZeneca is a biopharmaceutical company with a mission to bring a difference to health through medicines that benefit patients in need and add value to society. We discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines for areas of healthcare, which include some of the world’s most serious illnesses: cancer, cardiovascular disease, respiratory, inflammation, and autoimmune diseases. We are driven to make a positive change in the lives of patients with these diseases.
Oncology R&D is a major focus area and growth platform at AstraZeneca. Our vision is to be at the forefront of developing the new generation of cancer therapies. We work together across all boundaries to have a positive impact in the world by solving complicated problems. Our team is growing, and we have an opportunity as an Associate Director, Oncology Chemistry that will play a role in helping us to direct our capabilities toward improving patients’ lives.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment, and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are building a strong research teams that embraces the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are seeking an experienced medicinal chemist (Associate Director) who will be joining our fast-paced multidisciplinary oncology team. You will provide scientific/managerial leadership in the department serving as a mentor and leader to less experienced scientific contributors. You will be accountable for: ensuring the timely delivery of high-quality scientific achievements from department projects and therapeutic area objectives; driving the strategic direction of the department in alignment with the therapy area priorities and vision; plan a long-term talent development of the section. The latter will include staff development in science and line roles within and across the functions through identification of training needs, rotation/secondment opportunities and improvement of cross-functional expertise.
In this role, you will function as a chemistry leader and devise strategies outside your area of expertise with various drug discovery partner lines and connect with senior leadership. You may also share leadership responsibilities within the medicinal chemistry department and lead external collaborations.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with >10 years of research experience within the pharmaceutical industry, including experience leading multi-disciplinary teams of highly qualified personnel.
- Strong expertise in Medicinal Chemistry to prosecute projects from early phase through candidate selection working in close collaboration with partner lines.
- Robust track record of portfolio delivery with proven examples of tackling drug discovery challenges and innovation to deliver clinical drug candidates.
- Proven understanding and experience taking a leading role in establishing standard methodology in that area of specialization.
- Clearly demonstrate effective organizational, communication, interpersonal and managerial skills with the flexibility to accommodate programmatic changes and/or scientific directions.
- Strong record of recent peer-reviewed publications and/or external presentations and engagement in the external scientific community.
- Strong track record at leading, motivating, developing and organizing personnel.
- Detailed understanding how safety/health/environment personnel policies and procedures impact department work.
- Experience as a project leader involving multi-disciplinary resource management.
- Experience in working across multiple drug modalities including both small (MW < 600) and medium-sized (MW 600-1500) molecules.
- Contributor to strategic scientific and/or business initiatives within or outside of the biotech/pharma industry.
About The Site
The Waltham R&D site focuses on our small-molecule oncology research in North America, and is situated within a biopharma cluster of research institutions, medical centers, pharmaceutical companies and startups. The Boston region is consistently ranked #1 globally for research, investment, talent recruitment and lab space.
The campus, also known as the Boston BioHub, is one of the largest and most dynamic life-science research hubs in the region. It is home to more than 800 scientists working in nine different pharmaceutical and biotech companies. The site is also home to the AstraZeneca Incubator, a program that helps emerging companies advance novel and innovative healthcare solutions to meet the needs of patients. Plenty of free parking, with charging stations now available for electric vehicles, and shuttle service to local transportation hubs.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be an excellent fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.