Senior Data & Analytics Engineer
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. Our growth platforms are doing extremely well, and the impact of our older products decline is starting to reduce. And, with the potential of our pipeline and new medicines, we can be confident in our ability to sustain growth for years to come and make an even bigger difference to patients around the world.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that encourages innovation and teamwork. Our vision of a phenomenal place to work is one in which all our employees are engaged and encouraged by a clear shared purpose and a compelling strategy; where they are encouraged to perform and develop to their full potential; and where they are supported by the right organisation design, culture, technology and processes.
As a Data & Analytics engineer you will support solution development, provide technical leadership, and take ownership for delivery. You are a data professional with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics, with significant depth in at least one technical area. You will work almost exclusively with Cloud services. You will join a team that has delivered cloud solutions, such as the development of auto-scaling data integration and analytic platform.
You'll be part of a team of engineers who work closely with IT colleagues in UK, US, Sweden, India and Mexico. We have business partners and team members spread globally, so you would need a collaborative delivery approach to be successful. We prefer to use Agile, but choose the appropriate approach for the project. You will provide technical leadership throughout our software development lifecycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on agreed architecture, right through to service. Do you have a real passion for delivering well engineered solutions? Because this will make you stand out from other specialists.
If you would like to discuss flexible working or part-time working, we would be happy to hear from you.
- Define effective ways of end-to-end deliver of our data and analytics platform, drive visualisation strategy to enable specific insights for better business decisions.
- Manage a team of data and reporting engineers passionate about developing cutting edge visualisation and computational capabilities for our big data platform.
- Be hands on within the scrum team on a day-to-day basis, continually inspecting and crafting the backlog in response to the changing business requirements or technical discoveries/POCs.
- Lead technology processes from concept development to completion of project deliverables.
Desirable technical skills & experience
- Experience of cloud techniques and tools (AWS services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Athena, Glue, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, Spark),
- Experience of ETL techniques and tools (Talend, Snaplogic),
- Experience of visualisation technologies (Power BI, Spotfire),
- Experience of low code technologies (Microsoft Power Platform),
- Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions,
- In depth knowledge in one or multiple programming languages (Python, Java),
- Experience of building unit tests, integration tests, system tests and acceptance tests,
- Experience in DevOps, using continuous integration and continuous development (we use Jenkins, Nexus, Git),
- Experience of data analysis – profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures,
- Familiarity with data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience (our relational databases are third normal form and star schema),
- Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.