Asia Area Legal Director
AstraZeneca is one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, with a broad range of medicines designed to fight disease in meaningful areas of healthcare: cardiovascular, diabetes, respiratory and oncology.
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We believe in the potential of our people and you’ll develop beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to achieve our shared goals no matter where you start with us. When we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because an opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big.
In this role, you will work independently under high–level direction to identify and manage high impact legal risks to the business as well as developing and implementing legal strategy. This role will also render counsel support to the Senior Vice President (SVP), Asia Area and its Leadership team to supervise the area legal affairs and matters, with an emphasis on counsel support for the ASEAN based legal entities and marketing companies. This role may be required to seek and undertake international and multiple responsibilities on a wide variety of projects. You will be a member of the Asia Area Leadership Team and the International Legal Leadership Team.
- Rendering legal counsel and regional legal affairs via facilitating the ability of the business to achieve its objectives, while ensuring that business is conducted in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Providing overall legal support in various Asia Area markets, with a focus on ASEAN. The scope includes :
- legal consultation
- commercial, labor and intellectual property litigation and dispute,
- external investigation related legal matters,
- Intellectual property LOE strategies development and consultation,
- business development transactions in due diligence, contract negotiations and post deal management regarding material commercial deal making activities and major collaborations with third parties, reviewing, drafting, negotiating and advising on commercial agreements for the provision and procurement of products/ services, distribution arrangements, and the like
- Proactively identifying ways to handle risk, reduce external legal costs, and improve practices.
- Managing outside legal counsel.
- Working closely with the area compliance team to advise on compliance topics as well as provide training for business units on legal processes and compliance subjects.
- Providing oversight to AstraZeneca local counsel in the region, including training, quality assurance and mentoring/career development.
- You have excellent legal qualification from a top law school, and preferably with deep legal background in ASEAN.
- Have 7 to 10 years of professional experience gained at a reputable law firm and/or as an in-house lawyer.
- Being experienced in corporate governance, business transaction and commercial matters
- With previous line management experience, you are confident in coaching and mentoring others to get the best results from your team.
- Experience in managing relationships and collaborations with external partners, counsel, management and others in a fast pace environment.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.