Digital Therapeutics Senior Software Engineering Lead - (OFR0220)
Senior Software Engineering Lead - Digital Therapeutics
Job Description / Capsule
At AstraZeneca, we lead our industry in our development of a strong and varied pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do groundbreaking, outstanding work that has huge impact on science and medicine. We explore innovations and confront challenges that others won't, in order to have a greater impact on patients' lives.
AstraZeneca’s Digital Health R&D and IT functions partner closely with a common goal of spectacularly improving patient experience and outcomes. We are contributing to the transformation of healthcare, re-setting expectations on how to augment patient outcomes by using digital health solutions in combination with life-changing treatments. This is a strategic priority that we are scaling rapidly from a significant number of pilots in the last 5 years. AstraZeneca would like to leap frog in this area and has prioritized digital in R&D as a critical strategic area of focus by 2025, as part of the overall company strategy. We seek strong talent to join our teams in delivering on this ambition!
The Digital Health R&D journey incorporates 3 key stages:
- Stage 1 – foundational, reimagining how we work, by improving the use of digital, data and analytics to transform processes within R&D – delivering significant benefits on speed of portfolio delivery (goal of 9 months acceleration) efficiency (goal of 20% reduction in cost per patient per year), quality at source, patient experience and probability of success.
- Stage 2 – sophisticated, redefining clinical trials and digital health to improve overall patient experiences and outcomes, such as redefining patient populations, conducting remote clinical trials, developing patient apps to reduce/lead adverse events and improve patient outcomes (Overall Survival), using data from EMR/EHR and RWD instead of control arms, conduct continuous patient monitoring through PROs, and creating new end points enabling studies in earlier stages of disease (ctDNA changes).
- Stage 3 – future-readiness, reimagining healthcare, such as AZ as a healthcare provider beyond medicines for certain indications (example: Breast Cancer, providing monitoring, predictive analytics and therapies for improved outcomes), full integration of Multiomics (imaging, genomics, proteomics …) to better predict and significantly improve patients’ health
- We are making significant investments in our Digital Therapeutics delivery capability. As part of this investment, we are creating a team focused on delivering Digital Clinical Trial Support, Digital Therapeutics, and Digital Patient Support capabilities.
- We seek a strong Software Engineer with significant mobile application development experience for our Digital Therapeutics teams focused on our oncology therapy area. The ideal candidate for this role is an engineer with experience delivering patient facing solutions, mobile software engineering experience (either iOS or Android, we are seeking both), and most importantly a deep technical understanding of delivering high quality sustainable solutions. We expect you to not follow industry trends but help us lead the industry trends. You will also be involved in integrating with other devices such as wearables and sensors. When it comes to doing what is right for our patients, nothing is off the table. In this role you will be designing and building applications that will be used directly by patients before, during, and after our clinical trials.
- We thrive on exploration of ideas, leadership and having teammates who are highly collaborative through the good times and bad. Put simply, this means having humility, fueling inspiration, inspiring others through exciting times, taking accountability for your work and your team, feeling the need to continually raise the expectations of yourself and others, and lastly being a true engineer who is capable of solving sophisticated problems. This is a senior role on our team, and we would consider any individual in this role to be a strong engineer and a leader. You will be expected to influence our Digital Therapeutics engineering leadership with regards to software engineering practices to continually improve our architecture, security, productivity, and user experience.
- Integrity and trust are very important to us. You must have unwavering commitment to “doing the right thing”, specifically around legal and ethical concerns. Our patients are most important to us, and we expect everyone to follow this priority.
- Lead and take full responsibility for the technical delivery of that applications you and your team build.
- Designing and developing of sophisticated, highly regulated mobile applications.
- Interact regularly with team leadership, influencing direction as well as team practices.
- Building high end user interfaces and visual experiences based upon both your experience and our product design teams designs.
- Integrating with 3rd party consumer and medical devices.
- Following our quality processes and integrating them into the way you work.
- Collaborating with our designers, product owners, and other engineering teams.
- Leads high level risk by making sophisticated judgements, developing innovative solutions and applying a comprehensive multi-functional and industry understanding to problems.
- Using our internal tools engineering tools to facilitate your work.
- Chipping in towards our automated testing functions.
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Math, Computer Science, Information Science, or equivalent degree is preferred but not required. We will hire self-taught engineers, designers and leaders without a formal education given you have evidence of rich history of software engineering and/or product delivery.
- Experience with prior medical solutions delivery with GxP requirements, oncology related solutions delivery, or equivalent.
- Extensive knowledge related to cloud computing, regulatory, security, privacy, software engineering, and ethical use of patient information.
- Experience working across diverse, global teams
Skills and Capabilities
- Strong engineering background in mobile development, iOS or Android.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presenting
- Excellent influencing, networking and team working skills
- Confirmed ability to relate and respond to business needs in an IT environment
- Ability to work well in and across diverse global teams
- Ability to partner and work in a matrix organisation
- Program management leadership with experience of cross geography, high value implementations
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.