Digital Therapeutics Senior Project Manager - (OFR0217)
Senior IT Project Manager
Job Description / Capsule
At AstraZeneca, we lead our industry in our development of a strong and varied pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do groundbreaking, outstanding work that has big impact on science and medicine. We explore innovations and confront challenges that others won't, in order to have a greater impact on patients' lives.
AstraZeneca’s Digital Health R&D and IT functions partner closely with a common goal of spectacularly improving patient experience and outcomes. We are contributing to the transformation of healthcare, re-setting expectations on how to augment patient outcomes by using digital health solutions in combination with life-changing treatments. This is a strategic priority that we are scaling rapidly from a significant number of pilots in the last 5 years. AstraZeneca would like to leap frog in this area and has prioritized digital in R&D as a critical strategic area of focus by 2025, as part of the overall company strategy. We seek strong talent to join our teams in delivering on this ambition!
The Digital Health R&D journey incorporates 3 key stages:
- Stage 1 – foundational, reimagining how we work, by improving the use of digital, data and analytics to transform processes within R&D – delivering significant benefits on speed of portfolio delivery (goal of 9 months acceleration) efficiency (goal of 20% reduction in cost per patient per year), quality at source, patient experience and probability of success.
- Stage 2 – sophisticated, redefining clinical trials and digital health to improve overall patient experiences and outcomes, such as redefining patient populations, conducting remote clinical trials, developing patient apps to reduce/lead adverse events and improve patient outcomes (Overall Survival), using data from EMR/EHR and RWD instead of control arms, conduct continuous patient monitoring through PROs, and crafting new end points enabling studies in earlier stages of disease (ctDNA changes).
- Stage 3 – future-readiness, reimagining healthcare, such as AZ as a healthcare provider beyond medicines for certain indications (example: Breast Cancer, providing monitoring, predictive analytics and therapies for improved outcomes), full integration of Multiomics (imaging, genomics, proteomics …) to better predict and significantly improve patients’ health
We are making significant investments in our Digital Therapeutics delivery capability. As part of this investment, we are crafting a team passionate about delivering Digital Clinical Trial Support, Digital Therapeutics, and Digital Patient Support capabilities. As we look to strengthen our delivery capability, we are creating a new team specifically for this journey. The Digital Therapeutics Platform Quality Manager is a key part of the foundations of our new team.
The Senior Project Manager leads the day to day backlog of one or multiple product engineering teams against a set of interrelated major global projects/programmes with a value of up to $20M. The role typically reports to a Programme Director or Capability Lead and maintains project accountability, from initiation to close, to deliver effective solutions that meet approved customer and business needs. The role is accountable for resolving and delivering solutions to approved budget and schedule commitments whilst meeting required quality and compliance standards. Focus areas include partner management (varies by organization), risk management and delivery of business benefit. This role is also required to follow established project management standards and lead / chip in to continued development of the project / programme management capability.
- Oversee, drive and approve plans for projects / programmes, including activities, resources, costs, roles, responsibilities and quality as defined in the IT Project Management Methodology (ADF).
- Lead and coordinate project / programme budgets, forecasts, tasks, schedules, risks, change management, and status to support effective decisions and project reporting to partners and review boards.
- Lead and coordinate interdependencies between projects and programme workstreams (intra-program and across portfolio).
- Maintain relationships with senior business partners to ensure the effective capturing of business requirements and commitment to project/program objectives. Responsible for steering / partner meetings, communication of status, issues, risks.
- Drive effective risks & issues management, ensuring processes are in place and effectively used. Ensure problems resolved and intensify as appropriate.
- Build a cohesive project /programme team and provide the leadership vital to maximize the team’s success.
- Own project / programme improvement plans and oversee execution of remediation plans.
- Lead changes to project/programme scope, ensuring that all impacts and changes are approved and appropriately communicated to partners and review boards.
- Assure / develop service transition plans to ensure project delivered solutions are balanced within a BAU operations environment, including controlled hand-over into operational support.
- Ensure the project team adheres to all standards including ADF, quality, and compliance, as well as processes, defined technical capabilities, and standard methodologies. Establish program governance and lead Decision Point reviews; member Steering Committee meetings.
- Ensure expected benefits realization is consistent with project deliverables and clearly understood by partners and project team.
- Support / lead development of a world-class centre of excellence for project management capabilities and ensure that standard methodology is adopted and reinforced.
- Typical project / programme costs greater than $1m, and a project team greater than 15 people.
- Works collaboratively with: AZ Senior/executive partners to ensure understanding and commitment to programme objectives, and development and refinement of deliverables Key business partners to ensure the effective capturing of business requirements and commitment to project/programme objectives Supplier Management function to lead delivery of medium sized external supplier contracts Internal and External Suppliers to ensure delivery of agreed products and services while ensuring adherence to AZ project delivery standards
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Technical or Business Degree or validated proven experience
- Confirmed skills and experience leading and controlling large project and programme budgets.
- Experience managing and leading global project teams
- Evidence of shaping innovative solutions that have a major impact within the business area and organisation
- Experience working in a global organization where partners and project team members are geographically dispersed.
- 48+ months of confirmed proven experience as a PM or equivalent role
- Master’s degree
- Project / Programme Management certifications
Skills and Capabilities
- Strong Project and Progamme Management Skills
- A capable knowledge of Financial Management and Benefits Delivery practices.
- Broad understanding of IT systems and technology implemented within a business context.
- Strong communication and relationship leadership skills
- Strong knowledge and experience with internal and external suppliers and solutions
- Excellent intuition for business with sensitivity to environment
- Demonstrated leadership skills interacting with senior leaders
- Agile, Lean & Six Sigma Skills
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.