Digital Therapeutics Senior Platform Architect - (OFR0211)
Digital Therapeutics - Senior Platform Architect
At AstraZeneca, we lead our industry in our development of a strong and varied pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do groundbreaking, outstanding work that has huge impact on science and medicine. We explore innovations and confront challenges that others won't, in order to have a greater impact on patients' lives.
AstraZeneca’s Digital Health R&D and IT functions partner closely with a common goal of spectacularly improving patient experience and outcomes. We are contributing to the transformation of healthcare, re-setting expectations on how to augment patient outcomes by using digital health solutions in combination with life-changing treatments. This is a strategic priority that we are scaling rapidly from a significant number of pilots in the last 5 years. AstraZeneca would like to leap frog in this area and has prioritized digital in R&D as a critical strategic area of focus by 2025, as part of the overall company strategy. We seek strong talent to join our teams in delivering on this ambition!
The Digital Health R&D journey incorporates 3 key stages:
- Stage 1 – foundational, reimagining how we work, by improving the use of digital, data and analytics to transform processes within R&D – delivering significant benefits on speed of portfolio delivery (goal of 9 months acceleration) efficiency (goal of 20% reduction in cost per patient per year), quality at source, patient experience and probability of success.
- Stage 2 – sophisticated, redefining clinical trials and digital health to improve overall patient experiences and outcomes, such as redefining patient populations, conducting remote clinical trials, developing patient apps to reduce/lead adverse events and improve patient outcomes (Overall Survival), using data from EMR/EHR and RWD instead of control arms, conduct continuous patient monitoring through PROs, and creating new end points enabling studies in earlier stages of disease (ctDNA changes).
- Stage 3 – future-readiness, reimagining healthcare, such as AZ as a healthcare provider beyond medicines for certain indications (example: Breast Cancer, providing monitoring, predictive analytics and therapies for improved outcomes), full integration of Multiomics (imaging, genomics, proteomics …) to better predict and significantly improve patients’ health
We are making significant investments in our Digital Therapeutics delivery capability. As part of this investment, we are creating a team focused on delivering Digital Clinical Trial Support, Digital Therapeutics, and Digital Patient Support capabilities.
The Senior Platform Architect will ensure that common architecture decisions support both business and IS strategy, and that architectures delivered, both logical and physical, are aligned with relevant AZ architecture standards, blueprints and roadmaps. The role will assess and review the work of Solution architecture roles and create a balance between the immediate and the strategic. A Senior Solution Architect will understand implications of architecture requirements to ‘As-Is’ architectures and define/update ‘To-Be’ architectures applying AZ architecture guiding principles. As a Senior Solution Architect, the Role is focused on Current Project Portfolios typically over the 0-18 month horizon.
To provide solution design support in one of the below focused domains of architecture.
- Accountable for the direction, performance and ongoing health of the current solution architectures within one or more given portfolios.
- Define and lead the Solution Architecture Principles for the given portfolio(s).
- Accountable for the architecture and design of comprehensive set of solutions that meet business requirements and are aligned to AstraZeneca’s Enterprise Architecture, providing subject matter expertise to ensure business opportunities are identified and realised in line with a standard and efficient architecture.
- The role will guide and support other architects (including third party suppliers) in the development and documentation of IS/IT architectures for sophisticated and business critical projects.
- The role will be accountable for driving solution evaluation and selection decisions, buy vs. build decisions, and early-phase project estimates which supply to the business case.
- Lead the effort to ensure that common architecture decisions support the business and IS strategy, and that the architectures delivered are aligned with relevant AZ architecture standards, blueprints and roadmaps.
- Participate in Architecture Assessments & Reviews either as Lead Reviewing Architect or as a subject matter authority in the review team.
- Chip in to the development of the Architecture Capability within IS, by detailing and sharing knowledge and standard methodologies with peer Architects
- Be accountable for the architecture and design of comprehensive solutions that meet business requirements and are aligned to AstraZeneca’s Enterprise Architecture,
- Provide domain expertise to ensure business opportunities are identified and realised in line with a standard and cost effective solution architecture.
- Guide and support other architects (including third party suppliers) in the development and documentation of IS/IT architectures for sophisticated and business critical projects.
- Be accountable for driving solution evaluation and selection decisions, buy vs. build decisions, early-phase project estimates, and proof of concepts which supply to the business case.
- Create estimates for solution delivery including expertise to validate third party estimates and hence ensure value for money
- Deliver feedback to Enterprise Architects on how to improve Architecture Standards
- Document standard methodologies, drive reuse of existing solutions and in collaboration with other Architects promote new solutions for reuse.
- Advance (to Enterprise Architects) architecture design issues related to possible alternative solutions
- Review Statement of Work responses from Suppliers
Education, Qualifications, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Math, Computer Science, Information Science, or equivalent degree is preferred but not required. We will hire self-taught engineers, designers and leaders without a formal education given you have evidence of rich history of software engineering and/or product delivery.
- Experience showing strength in at least one technical domain.
- Experience implementing and maintaining business solution architectures under any formal framework for their domain of architecture.
- Validated consultancy experience designing end to end solutions that operate across all domains of IT.
- Experience developing and leading innovative solutions
- Validated experience of leading change and ambitious approaches/ideas.
- Confirmed ability to influence across business and IT.
- Experience developing and managing relationships with third party suppliers
- Experience with policies, procedures and guidelines within a quality, compliant, and secure environment
- Experience with large scale solution Justification phase work – product evaluation, business case formulation
- Experience advising multi-functional teams
- Demonstrated initiative, strong customer orientation, and cross-cultural working
- People Development experience
Skills and Capabilities
- Strong networking skills with good internal/external links
- Well developed communication and facilitation skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate technical information into business language at all levels of leadership.
- Awareness of developments in the marketplace for domain focus and potential impact to AZ IS
- Confirmed business acumen
- Understanding of the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry and of competitor activity, on a particular architecture and Information Management
- Ability to work well in diverse, multinational teams and validated ability to influence others to achieve positive outcomes
- Masters and/or Professional Certification
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.