Digital Therapeutics Program Director - (OFR0252)
Digital Therapeutics Platform Program Director
Job Description / Capsule
At AstraZeneca, we lead our industry in our development of a strong and varied pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do groundbreaking, outstanding work that has big impact on science and medicine. We explore innovations and confront challenges that others won't, in order to have a greater impact on patients' lives.
AstraZeneca’s Digital Health R&D and IT functions partner closely with a common goal of dramatically improving patient experience and outcomes. We are contributing to the transformation of healthcare, re-setting expectations on how to augment patient outcomes by using digital health solutions in combination with life-changing treatments. This is a strategic priority that we are scaling rapidly from a significant number of pilots in the last 5 years. AstraZeneca would like to leapfrog in this area and has prioritized digital in R&D as a critical strategic area of focus by 2025, as part of the overall company strategy. We seek strong talent to join our teams in delivering on this ambition!
The Digital Health R&D journey incorporates 3 key stages:
- Stage 1 – foundational, reimagining how we work, by improving the use of digital, data and analytics to transform processes within R&D – delivering significant benefits on speed of portfolio delivery (goal of 9 months acceleration) efficiency (goal of 20% reduction in cost per patient per year), quality at source, patient experience and probability of success.
- Stage 2 – sophisticated, redefining clinical trials and digital health to improve overall patient experiences and outcomes, such as redefining patient populations, conducting remote clinical trials, developing patient apps to reduce/lead adverse events and improve patient outcomes (Overall Survival), using data from EMR/EHR and RWD instead of control arms, conduct continuous patient monitoring through PROs, and crafting new end points enabling studies in earlier stages of disease (ctDNA changes).
- Stage 3 – future-readiness, reimagining healthcare, such as AZ as a healthcare provider beyond medicines for certain indications (example: Breast Cancer, providing monitoring, predictive analytics and therapies for improved outcomes), full integration of Multiomics (imaging, genomics, proteomics …) to better predict and significantly improve patients’ health
We are making significant investments in our Digital Therapeutics delivery capability. As part of this investment, we are crafting a team passionate about delivering Digital Clinical Trial Support, Digital Therapeutics, and Digital Patient Support capabilities. As we look to strengthen our delivery capability, we are creating a new team specifically for this journey. The Digital Therapeutics Program Director is a key part of the foundations of our new team.
In this role you will be responsible for all program management activities in our Digital Therapeutics space, leading and enabling our portfolio. We would like to create an end to end delivery team like we have never before. Therefore, we will be bending and blurring the accountabilities of traditional IT roles. Everyone will need to be comfortable with this and flourish with this opportunity to be different. We are looking for a unique leader in this space as you will be expected to lead through influence and guidance rather than direct line management due to our distributed teams. Our expectation is to create a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. This means that titles are left at the door as we all drive towards the same goal. Our portfolio will be a mixture of 3rd party partnerships, SaaS implementations, custom software engineering product delivery, or any combination of these examples. All our initiatives will be healthcare focused and will be heavily supervised. Software will play an instrumental role in the capabilities we deliver, and we seek someone who not only has experience in software delivery, but also has an in-depth understanding of how to deliver software in a product methodology and has an appreciation for the software engineering process.
We grow with exploration of ideas, leadership and having teammates who are highly collaborative through the good times and bad. Put simply, this means having humility, fueling inspiration, inspiring others through exciting times, taking accountability for your work and the team, feeling the need to continually raise the expectations of yourself and others, and lastly being a true problem solver.
- Be responsible for the overall team initiative timeline, roadmap, and budget. This team's delivery roadmap will be particularly sophisticated as well as tightly coupled to product (medicines) clinical trials and releases.
- Lead the resource plan for all IT and contract team members.
- Coach and mentor team members on how to be successful in both a product delivery and agile world.
- Lead team risks, exceptions, and partner concerns, both IT and business facing.
- Be responsible for the development of strategic risk analysis and control plans acting as critical issue point for all programme-level risks and issues.
- Lead and coordinate interdependencies between programme workstreams (intra-program and across portfolio).
- Along with the team leadership, partner with business leaders to develop a patient-oriented and business value-focused digital strategy.
- Delivering a project portfolio based on internal pipeline priorities and external industry trends, aligned with the business digital strategy.
- Maintain relationships with senior business partners to ensure the effective capturing of business requirements and commitment to project/program objectives. Responsible for steering / partner meetings, communication of status, issues, risks.
- Oversee changes to programme scope, ensuring that all impacts and changes are approved and appropriately communicated to senior partners and review boards.
- Leading a $30m+ portfolio of multi-year IT investments and run costs, prioritized to align with emerging business strategy, operational risks and opportunities.
- Facilitating accurate IT portfolio planning and delivery quality assurance collaboratively with other supporting IT team roles.
- Ensure the programme adheres to all standards including our application development framework, quality, and compliance, as well as processes, defined technical capabilities, and standard methodologies.
- Facilitate technology partnerships across pharma and industry.
- Working with team leaders to establish and follow ways of working with IT PMO.
- Manging the recruitment and onboarding of the permanent and contract team members, including working closely with talent acquisition groups.
- Develop and execute a communication and change plan for partners.
- Facilitate the team governance process which includes both team leadership and key business partners.
- Ensure the team is adhering to IT processes, compliance protocols, and regulatory requirements by ensuring that the appropriate actions are being taken by the team or that the corresponding teams within AstraZeneca are engaged who will provide any required expertise.
- Supervise the planning and spend of the team budget, using a solid sense of day to day team activities, leading indicators and other means to predict budget surpluses and deficits in order to assist with team decision making.
- Maintain the team roadmap and strategy under the leadership of the Director of Engineering for Digital Therapeutics.
- Works collaboratively with:
- AZ Senior/executive partners to ensure understanding and commitment to programme objectives, and development and refinement of deliverables
- Key business partners to ensure the effective capturing of business requirements and commitment to project/programme objectives
- Supplier Management function to lead delivery of medium sized external supplier contracts
- Internal and External Suppliers to ensure delivery of agreed products and services while ensuring adherence to AZ project delivery standards
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Math, Computer Science, Information Science, or equivalent degree is preferred but not required. We will hire self-taught engineers, designers and leaders without a formal education given you have evidence of rich history of software engineering and/or product delivery.
- Rich experience in bio-pharma industry, specifically in Oncology clinical development and commercial launch
- Rich experience in delivering patient-facing technology solutions in both clinical and commercial settings
- Proven delivery of significant scientific information systems.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the Clinical Development domain.
- Extensive knowledge of scientific and clinical pharmaceutical processes.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical or biometrics (statistics) analysis and reporting processes
- Confirmed ability to interpret and communicate technical and scientific information.
- Experience of identification and implementation of innovative technology solutions
- Evidence of leading and developing innovative solutions
- Experience of defining the business strategies and influencing the vision of senior leaders
- Experience of leading high value business cases & mobilising high value investments
- Experience in managing, developing and leading virtual teams
- A proven track record of delivering results
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Validated skills and experience leading and controlling large project and programme budgets
- Consistent track record of defining business strategies and influencing key business partners
- Strong background managing and leading global project teams
- Experience working across diverse, global teams
Skills and Capabilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presenting
- Program management leadership with experience of cross geography, high value implementations
- Excellent influencing, networking and team working skills
- High level awareness of developments in the Information Technology marketplace
- Able to run and lead negotiations, expectations and solutions across complex partner groups
- Experienced relationship building skills with the ability to influence others to achieve objectives
- Expertise in planning, change management and problem solving and able to resolve issues of a highly complex and strategic nature
- Confirmed ability to relate and respond to business needs in an IT environment
- Strong negotiating skills and experience across complex groups
- An authority on quality and compliance
- Ability to work well in and across diverse global teams
- Ability to partner and work in a matrix organisation
- Excellent leadership skills interacting with senior leaders
- Agile, Lean & Six Sigma Skills
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.