At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose – to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. This purpose underpins everything we do; our work helps to make hearts healthier, to help people breathe easier, and to help more people survive cancer. Every single day, we make a difference by delivering potentially life-changing medicines to millions of people worldwide and by leading breakthrough science that promises to transform the treatment of disease.
Our purpose is bold and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and innovative company means building a dynamic, inspiring culture where we celebrate entrepreneurial thinking and act with a sense of urgency. We are courageous, taking risks and learning from both success and failure. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas and ways of working. Above all, we are passionate about science and driven to always put patients first. When you join us, you will be part of a great place to work; in an environment that energizes and empowers each of us to achieve our goal to develop and deliver medicines.
This is an exciting period for us, as well as for those poised to join us. Our strategy and ability to transform our portfolio means we have a late stage pipeline that presents incredible opportunities to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. We enable the business to make critical pipeline and investment decisions, ensuring the right molecules are selected to progress and to seize the right lifecycle management opportunities – generating the data required to drive regulatory submissions for new medicines and expanded indications and generating the evidence that shows their value. The Oncology R&D work has a broad pipeline, offering you new career development opportunities today and in the future.
Are you an established scientist who seeks to improve your role within an organization? Are you passionate about bringing new medicines to patients? As a Medical Scientist, you will have a role in developing new registration-focused trials. You will work independently with guidance in only the most complex situations and be a close partner to the physician on the team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- You may coordinate the activity of a research team and you will hold full accountability for projects with Global impact
- You will build key relationships internally with clinical project teams, and externally with regulatory bodies and external service providers
- You will ensure there is adequate input into the drug development process from colleagues in each of the various areas of drug development, or provide input into one or more of these areas as a technical expert
- You will develop and design studies to determine the scientific and clinical viability of a particular drug or portfolio of drugs and interpret the results of these studies, either as the head of a team, or by providing expert input
- You will participate in protocol design, writing and implementation to meet GCP, ICH and all AZ quality standards
- You will manage cross functional projects to ensure the successful passage of drugs through all development phases, or assist with various elements of such a project as a clinical expert
- You will review and interpret medical data and clinical trial data and come up with conclusions
- You will also have responsibility for delivery of pieces of the trials and may lead submissions from a process standpoint
- PhD in a scientific field, PharmD or MD is required
- Oncology clinical trials experience
- Experience managing and interpreting clinical trials results as well as exposure to writing protocols
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience of authoring scientific documents
- Well-developed communication skills
- Sufficient technical and disease area knowledge to be able to interact with confidence with internal and external organizations
- Considerable relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry is preferred, however academic experience will be considered
- Experience across phases II - III drug development
Do you know why Great People want to Work here? Find out why:
- GTAA Top Employer Award for 5 years: https://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-astrazeneca-canada
- Best Workplace Culture Award at the 2018 Canadian HR Awards: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/thriving-best-workplace-culture-gena-restivo/
- Learn more about our Global Careers: https://www.youtube.com/user/AstrazenecaCareers
Are you interested in working at AZ? Apply today
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.