Global Data Management Lead
At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose – to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. This purpose underpins everything we do; our work helps to make hearts healthier, to help people breathe easier, and to help more people survive cancer. Every day, we make a meaningful difference by delivering potentially life-changing medicines to millions of people worldwide and by leading breakthrough science that promises to transform the treatment of disease.
Our purpose is bold and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and innovative company means creating a vibrant, dynamic culture where we celebrate entrepreneurial thinking and act with a sense of urgency. We are courageous, taking smart risks and learning from both success and failure. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas and ways of working. Above all, we are passionate about science and driven to always put patients first. Join us and be part of a great place to work; an environment that energizes and empowers each of us to contribute to achieving our goal to develop and deliver life-changing medicines.
Position Title: Data Management Quality Leader
Position Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Career Level: E
- Provides DM leadership and subject matter expertise to the study team(s) and is responsible for overseeing and managing all DM activities for the study.
- Serves as an “ad hoc” member of the study team(s) and is accountable for all DM-related communications, specifications, and documentation. The includes, but is not limited to the Data Management Plan (DMP).
- The DMQL is responsible for the overall quality and integrity of the database with respect to “Critical to Quality” (CTQ) data points predefined by Clinical and Biostats prior to the start of a study.
- The DMQL will “project manager” the Data Quality Plan to ensure CTQ data points are of the highest integrity and completeness.
- The DMQL will typically be assigned to no more than 4 studies within a given therapeutic area, depending on size and complexity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the expert in Clinical Research Data Management to provide oversight and advice to the clinical project team(s) regarding the CRDM activities and deliverables
- Manages and resolves issues related to DM deliverables by developing solutions to complex problems to ensure consistency across organization
- Provides input to the CRDM related activities associated with regulatory inspections/audits
- Provide CRDM business expertise and consultancy in the selection and use of software systems and vendors
- Development and oversight of DM processes and standards and functional leadership:
- Oversee quality and consistency with AstraZeneca strategies and standards across therapeutic areas
- Works with the Standards Group to provide input into clinical project standards and processes based on industry best practices
- Facilitates and manages valid change requests of project standards to the Standards Committee
- Assesses AstraZeneca CRDM needs and areas of improvement and recommends changes to the operating model
- May be asked to provide strategic DM expertise to Global Clinical Initiatives
- Management and oversight of vendor contracts, resourcing and budgets
- Reviews, assesses and manages DM delivery against KPIs and overall DM performance
- Provides input into the contract process for the CRDM vendor
- Manages all DM timelines and DM Deliverables for assigned studies
- Ensures DM billing is accurate and forwards recommendation to CDMs/CDaMs for payment of invoices.
- Operational Responsibilities
- Accountable for the execution and overall quality of DM activities and deliverables.
- Acts as the single point of contact for all data management deliverables for the study team during the study set-up phase, responsible for the CRF design, DB specifications (including edit checks, CRF working instructions, etc.), during study conduct, and study close-out activities.
- Provide guidance and supervision to Lead Data Managers working on the study (CRO, Cognizant, or in-house)
- Accountable for “real time” Data Management, ensuring that DM conducts initial reviews within 5 days of a patient’s data entering the EDC system, and manages the average query aging to no more than 20 days.
- Accountable for the overall quality and completeness of the Data Management Plan (DMP).
- Responsible for working closely with the Centralized Data Monitoring (CDM) group to ensure quality and integrity of our most important data points.
- Successful individuals will possess a BS in life sciences or computer science degree
- Strong Data Management experience in the Biotech/Pharma/CRO industry
- Certified Clinical Data Manager (CCDM) via the Society of Clinical Data Management (Preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge of clinical and pharmaceutical drug development process
- Demonstrated current understanding of GCP and regulatory requirements as they relate to data management systems and activities
- Demonstrated current understanding of Good Clinical Data Management Practices (GCDMP)
- State of the art understanding of database structures, data standards (CDISC) and practices as they apply to CRF design, database development, data handling and reporting
- Experience of clinical databases, different clinical data management systems and electronic data capture (EDC)
- Demonstrated understanding of clinical data system design / development / validation and system interoperability.
- Demonstrated leadership (including in an outsourced environment)
- Excellent understanding and demonstration of the AZ values and behaviours
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with external partners
- Ability to negotiate and influence others across functional areas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective problem and conflict solving skills
- Ability to work in a global team environment
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of management
- High attention to detail and accuracy
Next steps – Apply today
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager will know that you feel well qualified for this position. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Great People want to Work with us, find out why:
GTAA Top Employer Award for 5 years: https://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-astrazeneca-canada
Best Workplace Culture Award at the 2018 Canadian HR Awards: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/thriving-best-workplace-culture-gena-restivo/
Total Rewards for employees: https://www.astrazeneca.ca/en/working-at-az-canada/Total-Rewards.html
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.