Associate Director - Stem & Primary Cell Team
Are you an expert in the fields of Stem cells? Would you like to combine your scientific drive with your people, strategic and tactical leadership skills? Join us now to lead the Stem & Primary Cell Team in Discovery Sciences, Biopharmaceuticals R&D.
You will be based in Gothenburg, Sweden, leading a team of skilled stem cell scientists and working alongside disease areas specialists, to develop stem cell models of disease to drive Target Validation, Target Identification and Therapeutic Genome Editing projects to discover new medicines for Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal and Respiratory diseases.
Using your strong people skills, scientific knowledge and expertise in stem cell biology, you will have the opportunity to lead the team responsible for development of stem cell models, across these therapeutic areas. It is essential to have good social and communication skills, be collaborative and a strong team player. Good organizational, data management and documentation skills are required, and you should be comfortable in presenting your results.
What you’ll do:
In this role you will be responsible for the development and delivery of the strategic and tactical leadership of the Stem & Primary Cell Team.
This will require you to;
- Manage and lead the Stem & Primary Cell Team, delivering a portfolio of projects by providing direction to the reporting teams, the departments leadership team, senior leaders and key stakeholders
- Provides strategic input into Stem & Primary Cell Team strategy and ensuring that there is strong alignment and engagement between the Stem & Primary Cell Team, leadership team and sister departments
- Work in partnership with the Cell Therapy Unit to develop new methods and cell lines to enable cell therapy medicines for Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal and Respiratory diseases
- Recommend and develop external partnerships with industrial and academic partners and leaders in the cell therapy field
- Recruit, retain, and develop leading scientists to build a world class team with stem cell experience to accelerate AstraZeneca’s ambitions
- Provide leadership and direction for the team in order to deliver results in line with department deliverables
- Scientific leadership of development of process platforms for stem cells
- Oversees processes and standards to ensure their appropriateness and guarantee compliance to all internal and external processes
Essential for the role
This role requires a strong scientific drive together with a broad, comprehensive understanding of stem cells and drug discovery. As well as;
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology or equivalent
- Line management experience
- Leadership in Drug Discovery or Cell Therapy biopharmaceutical development and strategies
- Experience in Drug Discovery and interactions with industrial and academic partners
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Ability to communicate and influence both internal and external stakeholders, at all levels
Desirable for the role
- External scientific reputation within the stem cell field
- Strong track record of cross functional work across organizational boundaries
- Knowledge of molecular techniques including Precise Genome Editing
Does this sound like the next role for you? Go ahead and apply today!
We look forward to your application no later than 25th September, 2020.
For more information please contact: Mohammad Bohlooly, Mohammad.Bohlooly@astrazeneca.com
Why AstraZeneca Gothenburg?
Our site in Gothenburg is one of AstraZeneca’s three strategic science centers. The site is home to over 2,500 employees, from 50 different nationalities. Gothenburg includes the complete range of functions, and as such offers plenty of development opportunities for a wide range of professionals. Our science teams in Gothenburg collaborate with academic and industry partners in Sweden and globally. The site itself has been designed with collaboration in mind - from the Coffee Lab to exercise areas, we’ve built a series of environments where innovation can happen.
Our Gothenburg site: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-science/gothenburg.html
Life in Gothenburg: https://www.movetogothenburg.com/
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.