Vice President, Biologic Therapeutics - Oncology R&D
Vice President, Biologic Therapeutics - Oncology R&D
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland US
AstraZeneca is a global, creative, biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the most serious illnesses. But we are more than just one of the leading pharmaceutical companies. At AZ, we’re proud to have an exceptional workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives – an are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity. AZ is a place where talented people can immerse themselves in their work and make significant contributions to scientific excellence and medicines.
We are actively recruiting for a Vice President - Biologic Therapeutics for the Biologics Engineering & Targeted Delivery (BETD) department within Oncology R&D. Biologics Engineering is responsible for the discovery and development of biologics drug candidates to support all our therapeutic areas (Oncology, Cardiovascular and Metabolic, Respiratory and Immunology) drug discovery pipelines and for in-house biologics discovery platforms and drug modalities to support future drug development efforts.
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. The modern, vibrant scientific campus employs more than 3000 experts in our field, and it is only a short drive from Washington, DC. It is filled with cutting edge technology. Our labs spaces were built to facilitate collaboration, interaction and cross functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We offer everything from bean bag rooms for creative brain storming, game rooms and Zen garden to treadmill stations and regular campus happy hours. The Gaithersburg site offer a variety of amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center.
Join AstraZeneca and help us deliver life-changing medicines! Be among our employees who continue to make us an innovation-driven company that stands firmly among the leaders in Biopharmaceuticals.
- Provide strategic, scientific, and operational leadership for the Biologic Therapeutics group (Gaithersburg, USA)
- Responsible for broad biologics drug discovery. The drug discovery technology platforms include phage display, hybridoma, B cell technology, bi-specifics, protein engineering, antibody-drug conjugates, structural biology, etc.
- Provide strategic direction for establishing new technology platforms and processes.
- Interact and collaborate with leaders across key therapeutic areas (Oncology, Cardiovascular/Rena/Metabolic diseases, Respiratory/Immunology) on pipeline delivery and new technology development.
- Work closely with Biopharmaceutical Development (BPD) to ensure new therapeutic molecules are compatible with CMC requirement.
- Foster the implementation of external innovation.
- Develop and manage operating budget.
- Develop high potential employees for managerial and scientific leadership positions.
- As a member of the BETD Senior Leadership Team, actively contribute to the overall strategy and direction of BETD, and undertake specific leadership assignments representing BETD, as required.
- Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field (antibody/protein engineering, protein biochemistry, and biotechnology) required.
- 10-15 years professional experience in biologics research.
- Recognized leader in scientific specialty as evidenced by publications, participation in international conference, membership on journal editorial boards, etc.
- Must be an excellent communicator and highly effective in interacting with key internal and external partners.
- Ability to establish high level strategies for new drug technologies, and ability to apply new technologies to drug discovery.
- Solid collaboration and team-building skills; possessing great coaching and organizational skills
- Functions with a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
Closing date for applications: 31st August 2022
Next steps: Submit an application today, or connect with our Talent Acquisition Partner - Sam Hunter: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samhunter1/ or our Talent Scout, Ellen Willcox: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ellen-willcox-03a2b1/
for a confidential discussion to explore this opportunity further. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protecting colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.