Therapy Area Head: Global Payer Market Access & Pricing - CVRM
Within the Global Market Access & Pricing (GMAP) function, the Therapeutic Area Heads (TA Heads) play a significant role in building a best in-class market access and pricing team as well as leading the global pricing, access and reimbursement strategies across multiple products.
The GMAP TA Heads report to the VP, Global Market Access & Pricing, and dotted line to the Therapeutic Area SVP, and leads a team of Global Price and Reimbursement Directors (GPRDs) and Health Economics and Payer Evidence (HEPEs) professionals. They, with their teams, are responsible for developing and executing market access and pricing strategies that secure reimbursement for AstraZeneca’s life change medicines. They also manage pricing and access inputs into long-range forecasts, ensuring payer related end-points are included in early and late stage evidence programs, as well as the delivery and execution of all global market access launch materials (i.e. Global Reimbursement Dossier, Global Payer Value Pack, Pricing Policies).
The accountabilities of the GMAP TA Heads requires the incumbent to understand pricing and payer developments in all key markets to maintain a full, current view of external influences and their implications for products in the assigned therapeutic area, as well as provide strategic guidance and advice to senior leadership on the impact of external changes and how to shape the payer landscape. The TA Head, and their teams, work with a host of internal cross-functional partners, globally and at the marketing company level(s) to develop and execute strategy. They develop and cultivate deep relationships with key external partners and influencers, including payers, key opinion leaders and patient organization to advocate for policy changes that create a positive reimbursement environment for AstraZeneca’s medicines. Given the nature of this role, the GMAP TA Head, Cardiovascular, Renal, Metabolic (CVRM) is a standing member of the GMAP Leadership Team, the CVRM Therapeutic Area Leadership Team, and other key leadership teams and governance forums.
- Provides strategic input to the vision and development of world class GMAP capabilities.
- Has full and complete accountability for the successful development and execution of global price and access strategies, plans and tactics for all products in the assigned TA.
- Works with function, commercial franchise leadership, governance committees, global project teams and other internal partners to determine global payer (price and access) strategies, including:
- Providing key pricing and payer inputs into Therapeutic Area Strategies, Target Product Profiles, Clinical Development Plans, Integrated Development and Brand Plans.
- Representing the assigned therapeutic area in key review and decision-making committees, including as applicable, Clinical Challenge, Therapeutic Area teams.
- Ensuring all relevant pricing, value issues and assumptions are integrated into and clearly visible in product forecasts and to SET for quarterly reporting and analyst calls.
- Oversees development and implementation of global pricing and reimbursement strategies and deliverables to meet payer needs for all payer archetypes and support markets to implement global price and reimbursement strategies at and beyond launch.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of a robust company understanding of relevant pricing and reimbursement needs required by payers in key markets for assessment of products:
- Stays abreast of pricing and reimbursement trends to maintain a fully current view of internal and external influences and their implications for all molecules/products in the assigned therapeutic area(s).
- Plays a lead role in educating other internal partners and stakeholders on evolutions, other dynamics and trends regarding payer practices for drug pricing, reimbursement, legislation and regulations, etc. across key markets.
- Leads external payer policy shaping to improve payer landscape on key issues important to AstraZeneca.
- Maintains a high standard and level of knowledge and understanding regarding payer evidence requirements - scientific, clinical and commercial developments in the specific therapeutic area(s) of assignment, as well as continuous communication and effective partnering with global and marketing company cross-functional groups.
- Advances AstraZeneca’s reputation and expertise in pricing and reimbursement planning and evidence generation by participating in appropriate external forums i.e. special interest groups of relevant organizations.
- Delivers performance management to agreed company standards:
- Oversees and guides development of metrics for existing and future global pricing and reimbursement strategies/activities.
- Aligns the priorities, activities and progress against objectives and goals across the assigned group to ensure high-quality results. Ensures optimal use of group resources against time, cost and quality allocations.
- Delivers against budget targets.
- Ensures AZ Global Market Access and Pricing function is a great place to work:
- Leads, and/or assigns, departmental projects including assigning Payer Team leaders.
- Participates, as appropriate, in the ongoing development and enhancement of cross-functional teams
- Identifies, hires or otherwise on-boards, develops and retains. a high preforming / high potential
- Ensures a robust succession plan is in place for direct reports and gives input, as appropriate, for key positions on other teams.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- Proven track record of shaping and implementing value-adding Pricing & Market Access strategies in a local, regional or global role.
- Extensive experience in leadership roles, including market access, commercial, government affairs, medical.
- Substantial experience in the Area of Pricing and Market Access within the Pharmaceutical Industry, ideally amended with significant experience in strategic management of stakeholders in Governments, Reimbursement Agencies and Patient Organizations.
- Track record of successful in market price negotiations.
- Above-market (global / regional) leadership experience.
- Commercial and / or development leadership of pre-launch and launch activities.
- Proven track record of linking science and evidence generation to drive patient access through several payer archetypes.
- Proven track record of attracting and developing talent and optimising team performance in direct and matrixed leadership roles.
Skills and Capabilities
- Excellent knowledge of P&R landscape & HTA systems worldwide with a clear capability of identifying, addressing and shaping business critical trends.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, as well as ability to influence the external environment.
- Outstanding technical skills to shape P&MA strategies (e.g. HE modelling, RCT interpretation, evidence generation, pricing).
- Sound understanding of R&D processes and ability to articulate payer related requirements in product development.
- Scientific mind set and deep knowledge of pharmaceutical industry.
- Exceptional strategic thinking, judgement and influencing skills to ensure strong commercial focus and consistency.
- Strong leader - able to articulate a vision, set direction and inspire commitment for own organisation and broader TA group.
- Credible with R&D and Commercial leaders as well as MC stakeholders.
- Able to express complex ideas and strategies in clear and compelling ways to multiple stakeholder groups.
- Strong financial acumen with ability to assess and drive portfolio value.
- Global mind-set, with expertise in developing cross-functional operating models to deliver activities.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.