Supply Chain Lead (Pharma) - Biologics Operations
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
The Biologics External Sourcing (BES) team is accountable for developing and maintaining the 0 – 36 month supply plan for Biologics CMO’s as part of the global end to end supply chain. This requires close collaboration with global planning and CMO’s to ensure CMO capabilities are accurately understood, supply plans are well developed, able to be executed with future targets are meaningful and achievable.
BES is accountable for relationship management with the associated supply/customer production sites, all activities around import/export of materials, and all materials/production data management. BES is also accountable for implementation and control of all new/changed packing materials graphics and associated documentation.
Impact of Role on the Business:
Working in a Global environment, the role of the BES Supply Chain Lead is to manage supply chain operations in Biologics External Sourcing (BES) to plan, execute and deliver reliable, timely and sustainable supply of all materials from third party Contract Manufacturers. Includes responsibility for Strategic Planning, Sourcing, Procurement, Production Planning and Logistics activities.
BES Supply & Distribution Processes
- Leads development of overall end to end capacity plans (in collaboration with the asset planners and Supply Chain Coordinators within Biologics External Sourcing) ensuring product demands can be met out to 36 months horizon. Develops options, should risks arise and secure commitment to the overall global resolution plan before ensuring the plan is executed and progress is communicated
- Manages delivery by third party providers, defining operational requirements for support, monitoring of service level performance and resolving issues within the terms of the contract
- Monitors the overall Customer service performance of the chain across all CMO operations
- Accountable for the creation and update of the overall annual inventory budget for BES, aligning with the standard finance processes for LRP, PB and RBU (in collaboration with asset planners and Supply Chain Coordinators)
- Tracks actual inventory performance versus planned inventory and progress on improvements (variability and lead team reductions) necessary to hit projected inventory and take corrective actions as required in collaboration with CMO’s.
- Accountable for the BES monthly sales and order planning process (as part of the Business Planning Process) for BES in a standardized manner in line with the global planning calendar
- Ensures that the integrity and accuracy of relevant master data for BES supply chains is maintained and works with asset planners and supply chain coordinators to ensure Enterprise Resource Planning data used is standardized and fit for purpose
- Establishes strong business links with executive team members to understand supply needs and develop strategies that support sales growth and enhance efficiency
- Work with Finance to define and implement required controlling capability for BES inventory, procurement and invoice payment, including management of the monthly financial activities (PO’s, invoicing linked to both monthly and RBU accounting processes for Biologics).
- Contributes to the development of AstraZeneca wide policy and process within BES, partnering with Global Supply Chain leadership to provide input into strategic direction of the function
- Support operational excellence in BES through supply chain functions.
- Ensures that operational delivery is compliant with all relevant regulatory requirements, including SHE and GMP
- Manages operational, financial and people resources, aligning requirements with business requirements to ensure effective delivery. Monitors key performance indicators, identifying and addressing issues as appropriate
- Leads, manages and develops a team, identifying and fostering talent and acting as an escalating point for complex issues identified by the team
- Defines ongoing supply chain reports and feed data regarding supply chain information to other central systems
BES Supply Planning & Distribution Team Leader
Line management, engagement, training co-ordination and capability uplift of all team members based in USA & Sweden. This role is key to ensure that BES operates in a GMP and Financial compliant manner.
- Responsible for delivery of financial compliance in accordance with AZ FCF/SOX controls.
- Support BES Change Controls & Deviation management as needed
- Ensure that the team has the capability and flexibility to support the business.
- Coaching and supporting the team to deliver their roles in the best way.
- Lean Leadership actively working with Practical Problem Solving and Continuous Improvement techniques in cross-functional teams, both as team member and as team leader as appropriate.
- The Supply Chain Lead will work in close collaboration with the other BES teams, taking an active part in driving the development of the BES organization, leading initiatives as assigned.
- Sponsor and lead projects of strategic importance to BES.
BES Local Process Ownership for Plan
- The BES Local Process Owner owns the process and leads the definition, design and ongoing improvement of the local process to ensure efficient, effective and transparent ways of working that are aligned to the regional and global business process.
- The BES LPO will be a key part of the Biologics process network to drive process maturity and continuous improvement and engage with the Biologics RPC to drive a network improvement. The BES LPO will also link with the other BES LPOs to ensure alignment across business processes.
BES LPO Accountabilities
- Design and own the process including standards and procedures
- Document the process to appropriate level of detail and to relevant compliant requirements
- Engage and lead a process network
- Provide training materials, expert advice and coaching
- Drive adherence to the process
- Define KPIs; monitor and improve performance
- Drive standardization and simplification
- Manage continuous improvement and change
- Facilitate sharing of good practice and learning
- Monitor internal and external signals and trends
- Identify issues and risks, escalate as required
- Manage links with related processes / BPOs
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders
- Manage any supporting systems (with System Owner)
- Own relevant data standards for the process
- Own business continuity plan for the process if required
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent in Business, Logistics, Sciences or Engineering is preferred, equivalent experience will be taken into account.
- Prior experience in Supply Chain Environment (Manufacturing, Planning) and Supply & Operations Planning process
- ERP Systems, SAP
- Microsoft Outlook, Internet Explorer, MS Project, MS Excel, MS Word.
- Advanced supply chain (inventory and capacity) planning skills
- Experience in the Bio/Pharmaceutical Industry
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.