Senior Scientific Data & Analytics Engineer (AZ0472)
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. Our growth platforms are doing extremely well, and the impact of our older products decline is starting to reduce. And, with the potential of our pipeline and new medicines, we can be confident in our ability to sustain growth for years to come and make an even bigger difference to patients around the world.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Our vision of a great place to work is one in which all our employees are engaged and inspired by a clear shared purpose and a compelling strategy; where they are encouraged to perform and develop to their full potential; and where they are supported by the right organisation design, culture, technology and processes.
As an AstraZeneca Data & Analytics engineer, you are a data professional with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics and significant depth in at least one technical area. You will need to undertake hands on solution delivery as well as provide technical leadership. The Data and Analytics engineering team develops solutions across internal and external cloud infrastructure including AWS, Azure and GCP. As part of a global IT team, with colleagues in UK, US, Sweden, India and Mexico, you will need to be a strong communicator and to have a collaborative delivery approach. You will provide technical leadership throughout our software development lifecycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on agreed architecture, right through to service.
In this role you will work closely with bioinformatics and bench scientists across the organisation to develop solutions to support the automation and scaling of key processes and advanced analytics pipelines. You will also be part of a team responsible for developing data storage, management and querying capabilities that ensure that AstraZeneca’s data is Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR) organisation-wide and can be used for the machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques of the future.
- Deliver cost effective, automated data engineering solutions to include orchestration of data acquisition and processing pipelines, platforms for multi-tier cloud storage, metadata information modelling, search and reporting.
- Deliver scalable solutions and tools for Data Scientists and Bioinformatic Scientists for data interpretation.
- Be hands on within the scrum team on a day-to-day basis, continually inspecting and shaping the backlog in response to the changing business requirements or technical discoveries/POCs.
- Challenge the norm and push the team to forget the easy route and go after the impossible.
- Lead technology processes from concept development to completion of project deliverables.
Required technical skills & experience
- In depth programming skills in at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Java.
- Experience of cloud techniques and tools (we currently use AWS data & analytics services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Lambda, Step Functions, Redshift, Postgres)
- Experience in DevOps, using continuous integration and continuous development (we use Jenkins, Nexus, Git)
- Experience of working with a range of Data & Analytics architectures: traditional warehousing, NoSQL, container technology (Docker)
- Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions
- Experience of building unit tests, integration tests, system tests and acceptance tests
- Agile practices
Desirable technical skills & experience
- Familiarity with medical imaging or digital pathology datasets
- Distributed computing (Hadoop, Spark, etc…)
- Experience of data analysis – profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures
- Familiarity with NoSQL data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience
If you have a real passion for delivering well engineered data and analytics solutions, this is the opportunity you have been waiting for. Apply today. #DataAI
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.