Senior Communications Manager, Oncology
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing.
The Senior Manager, Oncology Communications, plays an important role in delivering against our bold ambition of one day eliminating cancer as a cause of death. This role will contribute to providing impeccable Corporate Affairs support to the late-stage pipeline of one of our key franchises, enhancing and protecting the reputation of AstraZeneca’s medicine portfolio and driving commercial success through impactful communications across internal and external audiences.
As a key member of the global Oncology Corporate Affairs team, the successful candidate will be responsible for implementing our communications plan for the medicines he/she will be supporting across a range of indications and stages of disease. The candidate will partner with the members of the global brand team to identify the communications needs, propose appropriate solutions and implement them across a wide range of key audiences including employees, partners, the medical community, academics and researchers, patients and the media.
This role will support the execution of internal and external communications around clinical, regulatory and business milestones. In addition, this role will be responsible for activities across our dynamic portfolio, such as planning and coordination of corporate affairs activities for major congresses, and management of newsflow, reputation and meetings.
Candidate Focus & Challenge
- Support the execution of our global Corporate Affairs strategy in one of our key oncology Franchises, aiming to establish AstraZeneca as a distinct, emerging leader.
- Support an integrated approach to milestones, newsflow and activity planning to effectively maximise opportunities and prepare for potential issues
- Implement an impactful media relations strategy to bring to life our science-led franchise pipeline and life-changing medicines within the franchise portfolio with clear messages and sharp proof points
- Beyond brand communications, support the execution of multi-stakeholder signature programs aiming to establish AZ as a leader in designated therapeutic areas and to remove barriers to treatment adoption
- Effectively implement internal and external communications tactics, working with ‘channel leads’ (e.g. Global Internal Communications, Global Media Relations, market comms teams, digital team etc.) as appropriate.
- Support issues preparedness and crisis management to protect brand and company reputation.
- Develop and execute mitigation plans for franchise-related issues, including scenario planning, and appropriate training for key internal stakeholders.
- Ensure timely communications and alignment on emerging issues across key internal stakeholder groups, including in markets.
- Support the development and implementation of timely, impactful and content rich internal communications programmes for the franchise assets to enhance employee engagement and brand awareness.
- Plan, coordinate and implement cross-brand activities such as PR presence at pan-oncology congresses, brand newsflow processes, website content updates.
- Update and share a consolidated newsflow approach across oncology
- Work collaboratively with the Oncology Corporate Affairs team, the Global Media Relations team and the social media team to orchestrate the Corporate Affairs activities at our key congresses and develop synergistic approaches.
Candidate Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree required
- 5+ years work experience
- Graduate with working knowledge of global pharmaceutical market and innovative life sciences environment, ideally in specialty care products
- Established track-record of delivering impactful, and content rich communications activities and proactive stakeholder management with demonstrable measures of success.
- Media relations experience, including in digital and social media.
- Strong proven collaborative behaviour required to drive successful delivery against strategy through a broad mix of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills
- Creativity and desire to challenge the status quo
- Ability to work in a global environment including understanding of cultural differences.
The role will involve travel, as required, to key markets and locations of leading medical congresses.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.