Scientist I/II - Lung Stem Cells and Disease modeling
AstraZeneca is a British-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical company. Here, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with renowned scientists to find the targets which are fundamental drivers of human disease. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on making a difference in people's lives every day.
As a Scientist I or Scientist II of the lung regeneration team at AstraZeneca you will study the biology of human airway and alveolar epithelium with the focus on lung stem cells and pathogenesis of lung disease. As a Scientist I or Scientist II you will study growth factor pathways that regulate lung stem cell self-renewal and differentiation in health and disease, epithelial-mesenchymal and epithelial-immune interactions using patient-derived iPSCs and airway models at the tissue- and single-cell levels.
- Lead and perform a range of lab-based experiments including induced pluripotent stem cells differentiation into disease-relevant cell types, generating 2D and 3D culture models, phenotyping diseased cells with cellular, molecular and functional assays.
- Make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results independently.
- Preparation of precise technical summaries, protocols, quantitative analyses, and maintenance of appropriate documentation.
- Oversee the day to day organization of different components of the projects.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the teams who are working on related research questions.
- Publish discoveries in high quality and impact journals.
Education and Experience required:
Ph.D. in the field of cell biology, Developmental biology, Stem cell biology, Molecular biology or a related field with 2-3 years postdoc or industry experience
Ph.D. in the field of cell biology, Developmental biology, Stem cell biology, Molecular biology or a related field with 4-6 years postdoc or industry experience
Position Qualifications Include:
- The knowledge of lung biology, physiology, and disease, epithelial and mesenchymal biology.
- Experience in stem cell culture and differentiation.
- Strong cell biology experience in tissue culture techniques, isolation and culture of primary cells and the use of co-culture systems.
- Excellent skills in cellular and molecular biology techniques (Western blot, qRT-PCR, immunostaining, ELISA) and fluorescence imaging.
- Excellent analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills and effective presentation of complex scientific data to cross-functional and senior management teams
- Proven ability to work independently and in collaborative team environments
- Experience in imaging and single-cell RNA seq analysis.
- Experience in the development of in-vitro disease model and in vivo mouse models and subsequent analysis, including but not limited to COPD is a plus.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.