Medical Director / Senior Medical Director Hematology
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Medical Director/Sr. Medical Director, Hematology role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As Medical Director/Sr Director in US Medical Affairs, you will be a board-certified physician who has a history of clinical practice and significant experience in the therapeutic area. You will be knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies and have experience in all aspects of clinical trials. You will have solid peer relationships with external scientific and clinical experts in their therapeutic area (TA), in this case Oncology. Ideally, you will have significant experience in their medical specialty (with a focus on Hematology), thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and serve as a medical expert for their compound (s) and disease area. You will also have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and appropriately align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
You will be accountable for all activities of study team physicians for US local trials including design of trials, medical oversight of trial conduct, data interpretation as appropriate and execution of compassionate use approaches as well as ascertaining the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use. Additionally, you will be responsible for medical input into brand strategy as a core member of Core Medical Team (CMT), interacting with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including both payer and provider groups and with leaders in the therapy area (external experts, Academic Institutions, and Societies). You will play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards and in the planning and providing of training for external medical/scientific speakers. As a medical expert, you will supply medical input into global Phase III programs and/or Life Cycle Management (LCM) programs.
- Graduate of an accredited medical school and recipient of M.D. or D.O. degrees or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of pharmaceutical industry or other related areas of experience
- Board certification/eligibility in internal medicine or a related relevant specialty, Oncology
- Leadership Capabilities at a senior leader level with strong organizational skills
- Strong leadership with proven track record of change and impact
- Proven ability to engage and influence senior stakeholders
- Thorough understanding of drug development and pharmaceutical market support and in-depth knowledge of the Oncology with a focus on hematology (clinical evidence and real world patient management)
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross functional teams
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highest level of ethics and integrity
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be up to ~30% of time
- Active medical license
- Additional training such as an M.P.H., M.B.A. or other advanced degree
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Scientific Medical Experts
- Experience with pharmaceutical drug development and Medical/Scientific Affairs
- Background in practicing medicine, clinical research, and familiarity with biostatistics, epidemiology and health outcomes
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organization skills
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Passion for patient outcomes and knowledge of patient care and treatment
- Versatile communication skills
- Line management experience
- Demonstrated coaching and mentoring experience
- Presentation and negotiation skills
- Team and Cross-functional working – demonstrating commitment, influencing, challenge and support
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written.
- Strong analytical skill set
- Demonstrated strategic agility – Ability to anticipate and shape future based on market, business and industry trends
- High ethical standards
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility crafts life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most ground breaking technology and lab spaces, all designed to encourage collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers various amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while strengthening collaboration between teams.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.