Lean Coach - Global Supply Chain & Strategy - Gaithersburg
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s outstanding skills with those of people from all over the globe.
The Lean Coach position is located at our Gaithersburg, MD site. Our campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most groundbreaking technology and lab spaces, all crafted to encourage collaboration and cross-functional science. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based workspaces to suit a variety of working styles while growing collaboration between teams. We are dedicated to crafting a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
Global Supply Chain and Strategy (GSC&S) leads the design, development, planning and governance of AstraZeneca’s supply chains to ensure we have the most efficient and effective ways of getting life-changing medicines to patients. GSC&S work closely with our manufacturing sites, our Global External Sourcing organization, and many other areas of the business to ensure we use our manufacturing sites in the best way and have a joined-up approach across our global supply chain.
As a Lean Coach – Global Supply Chain & Strategy, you will be responsible for driving operational excellence end-to-end in our highly integrated, interdependent supply chains to enable transformational change in the operating systems, management systems, attitudes and behaviors of our people. This to help us deliver our mission “Every medicine, Every Patient, Every Time” at highest quality, the lowest cost, and in the shortest lead time.
Due to the nature of the work, supporting a global function, expected travel will be up to 50%. (Because of the Pandemic no travel will be required at this time; Post Pandemic travel will be expected.)
What you’ll do:
- In close collaboration with the wider GSC&S Lean team and leaders in the function you will develop plans and execute performance improvement activities at the process and systems level through application of the AstraZeneca Supply System (AZSS) principles.
- Utilizing various Lean and Six Sigma tools and techniques you will diagnose, analyze and improve business processes.
- Train, coach and mentor others on all aspects of business process management, techniques and tools. Lead deep process analysis through value stream mapping to identify obstacles due to ineffective business processes and can lead Kaizen to improve flow and performance
- Develop visual controls & management to make problems visible and responds with urgency to effectively break down sophisticated problems, lead root cause analysis, and develop effective countermeasures.
- Apply Practical Problem-Solving methodology to solve complex problems and collaborates and partner with all levels of the organization to systematically share knowledge as one of the means to develop others and accelerate business results
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement and challenging the status quo, while driving departmental/regional strategies that align with AstraZeneca’s long-term strategy. Support teams to mitigate risk, align resources, and drive on time completion of initiatives
- Mentor others on effective communication and active listening techniques to fuller understanding of client/customer needs and expectations
- Build trust and develop new relationships with internal and external clients to effectively collaborate and achieve successful outcomes at a functional/global level.
Essential for the role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Operations Management or a related subject
- 7 - 10 years of demonstrated ability in two or more of Manufacturing, Supply Chain Management, Lab Operations, Sourcing or related function
- Experience working with functional teams in a transactional environment, or demonstrated understanding of applying manufacturing lean principles in a transactional environment
- Experience in analyzing complex end-to-end supply chains and driving process improvement
- Extensive experience of demonstrated hands-on experience in the application of Lean tools and techniques: Business Process Management, Standardized Work, practical problem solving, kaizen, value stream mapping, mistake proofing, level loading demand and pull systems
- Experience in analyzing Value Streams and driving process improvement
- Experience in applying consultative skills: ability to influence decision making, ability to interact with all levels of the business (senior leaders to shop floor working teams), project management skills (demonstrated experience in managing large teams), solid business acumen, proven team building skills, exceptionally good listening skills, results oriented, strong analytical skills, and prior process improvement experience.
- Coaching, guiding, and driving a high-performance organization through lean methodology
- Demonstrated application of behavioral, cultural and business change methodologies when driving cross functional process improvement initiatives
- Certified Lean Leader or equivalent
- Six Sigma Black Belt
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being ambitious - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this great opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be an excellent fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.