Insights & Analytics, Sr. Director
Do you have experience in insight generation and business analytics and a passion for oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise in leading a team of professions at a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas—breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms—immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
The Insights & Analytics Sr. Director is a leadership role accountable for generating actionable insights that materially impact the business. In this role, you will have oversight primary market research, forecasting, and analytics in support of one of AstraZeneca’s US Oncology brands. There is direct managerial responsibility, but also a requirement for broader leadership across the Insights & Analytics team to deliver across these areas. In this role highly consultative you will work with the Marketing, Sales, and Managed Care teams—this requires strong leadership, strategic thinking, communication excellence and a results-oriented mindset. A strong foundation of primary market research skills, secondary data analysis proficiency, and business and clinical acumen are necessary. One will be successful in this role by combining these skills with the ability to effectively collaborate and influence strategy and decision-making.
- Passion for Customers: Understands one's customers and uses that insight to provide value
- Thinks Strategically: Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities, combining forethought with action. This is based on an understanding of the external environment and its impact on AZ its oncology brands
- Develops People and Organization: Demonstrates a genuine commitment to the time and effort needed to develop oneself and others
- Drives Performance: Holds self and others accountable for the achievement of performance expectations. Creates an environment that enables others to perform at their best
- Acts Decisively: Makes and acts on decisions quickly and effectively and fosters the same in others. This is based on an underlying courage to enable risk-taking for the business
- Works Collaboratively: Actively creates and promotes cross-boundary collaboration with the aim of achieving better business results. Boundaries can exist between individuals, geographies, cultures, teams, functions, organizations, etc.
- Engage as a thought partner adding value through interpretation of primary market research and secondary data analyses. Partner with Marketing, Sales and Managed Markets teams to develop brand strategies leveraging a range of analytics and insight from the marketplace to unlock the full commercial value of the oncology portfolio
- Oversee primary research, forecasting, and analytics, managing projects when necessary and ensuring best practice approaches are always utilized. Activities include:
- Design of insight plans ensuring resources (dollars and people) are best leveraged to meet the true business needs. This includes use of primary market research and secondary data analytics to answer critical business questions
- Management and design of qualitative and quantitative market research that delivers insights to enable evidence-driven marketing decisions
- Guiding research for the development of marketing materials and go-to market tactical plans
- Leading the delivery of evidence-based, analytically sound, and clearly articulated product forecasts
- KPI development and performance tracking for the brand, including brand equity and quantitative tracking. Monitoring brand health to clearly and partnering with the performance analytics team to quickly diagnose brand performance and impact tactical plans to drive greater business results post launch
- Present key insights, analyses, and business implications to senior management. Assemble facts and insight to tell a cohesive story that clearly communicates the health of the brand/business
- Proactively communicate with multi-functional teams to anticipate future needs and provide teams with strategic recommendations and insights; and identify information and data needs
- Develop people from both a functional skills and leadership perspective with goal of increasing the talent level (across the span of acquired, developed and retained)
- Leverage deep understanding of Pharma/Bio industry marketing and how market research is used to guide product commercialization and lifecycle management
- Collaborate across the business including with Pricing and Market Access team to ensure that payer insights are integrated into commercial and clinical strategy and positioning
- BA/BS degree; preferably advanced degree in a relevant field (e.g., MBA, PhD)
- 6+ years of pharmaceutical or biotechnology experience working for a biopharmaceutical company or other relevant industry (e.g., management consulting, market research, investment banking); Oncology experience preferred
- Experience applying various primary research techniques and secondary data analytics to inform business decisions
- Pharmaceutical or consumer insight experience highly desirable
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to manage, prioritize and lead numerous projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to pull together insights from a variety of sources and develop strategic guidance for brand teams that result in a business decision or action
- Demonstrated ability to cope well with change, risk, and uncertainty (ambiguity) and act decidedly with incomplete or imperfect information
- Demonstrated ability to influence laterally and vertically; ability to influence without authority, motivate teams, and maintain high levels of respect for and from peers
- Strong business and marketing acumen and excellent communication and interpersonal skills; consultative background preferred
- Demonstrated communication and teamwork skills; ability to gain consensus and act within a matrix team environment; ability to work in a collaborative and influencing fashion that drives to business action
- Demonstrated success in applying various primary research techniques to inform strategy in the pharmaceutical industry
- Proficiency in secondary data analysis with intimate knowledge of a variety of industry secondary data sources
- Ability to work within AstraZeneca's established policies/procedures and core values
- Ability to travel within the USA and abroad
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility crafts life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most ground breaking technology and lab spaces, all designed to encourage collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers various amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while strengthening collaboration between teams.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.