Head of Medical Affairs Procurement
At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. This purpose underpins everything we do. Our work helps to make hearts healthier, to help people breathe easier, and to help more people survive cancer. Every single day, we make a difference by delivering potentially life-changing medicines to millions of people worldwide and by leading breakthrough science that promises to transform the treatment of disease.
Our purpose is ambitious and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and creative company means building a dynamic, inspiring culture where we celebrate diverse, ambitious thinking and act with a sense of urgency. We are fearless, taking risks and learning from both success and failure. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas and ways of working. Above all, we are passionate about science and driven to always put patients first. Join us and be part of an exceptional place to work; an environment that energizes and empowers each of us to achieve our goal to develop and deliver medicines.
The role is a member of the Americas & Global Commercial Americas Procurement Leadership Team and is responsible for procurement for Global Medical Affairs with worldwide responsibility. You will lead a team of procurement managers in evidence generation categories, specifically real world evidence and payer evidence, to define the category strategy and lead the category plan execution in different regions and countries, ensuring strong and collaborative relationships are built and maintained with internal and external Partners to maximise the Value, efficiencies and savings delivered. You will manage demand and explore and implement creative new ways of delivering top quality commercial practices and results into the Business. This role will also be responsible for liaising to medical affairs services reporting through Advertising and PR to ensure a cohesive medical delivery plan. Regional Category Managers in Real World Evidence and Payer Evidence will also dotted line into this role.
- Accountable for developing a strategic approach to the corporate procurement and material management process for the procurement of direct/indirect goods and services.
- Embed excellence in category management across the category, region or market including sourcing, cost management, contract management, SC&I, supplier relationship and development management, and commodity price risk management (CPRM).
- Deliver the annual financial and non-financial targets for the portfolio regionally or globally, including cost savings.
- Accountable for security of supply and brand protection and risk and governance within their portfolio.
- Own the full results of all the portfolio contract negotiations, achieving the given KPIs, quality and TCO targets, and proactively identify opportunities, add value and improve the TCO.
- Develop long term strategic plans for the entire spend area within the portfolio (including overarching accountability for sub-category and national plans within any given category).
- Accountable for managing the team, resources, and category targets through direct reports. Manage overall portfolio and all direct reports performance globally.
- Leads, Coaches and develops professional aspects of Procurement team members
- Keeping within One Procurement Operating Model 2019; decide how categories will be managed globally, regionally, locally to ensure high performance outcomes across the portfolio.
- Establishing and developing a team by attracting high calibre talent from within and outside the organization and providing appropriate opportunities and support
- Mentoring and take a strong interest in the career development of Procurement staff
Business & Supplier Engagement:
- Develop and communicate a procurement portfolio strategy; establish, communicate and implement long-term goals for the portfolio in order to promote effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ensures that Category Strategies are highly aligned to current and future Business need and that the supply base is capable of supporting these strategies
- Deliver benefits within sourcing, cost management, supplier relationship management, supplier development and innovation.
- Manage governance within the portfolio ensuring commercial decisions are aligned with the overall business strategy and up/downstream partners
- Conduct annual peer reviews of category, region or market strategies with the PLT
- Maintain a forward-looking portfolio activity plan which clearly defines the sourcing, cost management, SRM / SD projects going forward that will drive results YoY.
- Ensure that the underpinning process improvement and procurement activities deliver the expected business value in accordance with the strategic plans.
- Instill the highest standards of compliance and ethics consistently across AZ
Required Skills & Knowledge
- Degree or Masters Degree level qualification
- Significant procurement experience
- Strategic Management experience
- Experience of people management
- Leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to communicate and negotiate with senior management team
- Proven ability to lead change
- Significant cross-industry and cross-category experience
Preferred Skills & Knowledge
- Understanding of multiple aspects of procurement process
If you are passionate about making a difference and joining a global pharmaceutical brand apply today!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.