Global Medicines Leader - Calquence
A At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
We have a rare and exciting opportunity to join our Oncology Business Unit as the Calquence Global Medicines Leader (GML), based in Gaithersburg, MD. The Calquence Global Medicine Leader (GML) has high level accountabilities that are critical to the delivery of AZ business objectives and portfolio value targets. As a GML you will be accountable for the strategic leadership of the cross-functional Hematology Global Product Team to successfully deliver the integrated global product strategy, inclusive of development, regulatory, and commercial plans throughout the product life cycle.
Your role will be key in the provision of successful product development and scientific and commercial excellence in support of the Company’s drug development efforts within Oncology.
AstraZeneca Oncology Business Unit
Our Oncology Business Unit (OBU) is responsible for driving growth and maximizing commercial performance of the global oncology and hematology portfolio within AstraZeneca. We see the oncology revolution as a once in a lifetime scientific opportunity with the potential to be the biggest step change since combinatorial chemistry and antibiotics, with 20 years of growth to come.
Together, we are going to win in Oncology with 4 scientific platforms in Immuno-Oncology, Tumor Drivers and Resistance, DNA Damage Response and Antibody Drug Conjugates. Representing one of the most diversified oncology portfolios in the industry. We are moving into an exciting period of execution and are structured to accelerate launch and rapidly impacting our patients.
In addition, we have a very robust Oncology pipeline including investigational therapies in varied stages of clinical development, from recently approved products to earlier-stage molecules in clinical trials.
For more on AstraZeneca/MedImmune Oncology and to view their pipeline, please visit:
The Role: Accountabilities/Responsibilities:
- The position reports to the Global Franchise Head, Hematology; and Leads the cross functional Calquence Global Product Team (GPT) which together defines and drives the strategic direction of the brand and ensures scientific value creation across the lifecycle including initial approval, launch, lifecycle indications through to patent expiry.
- A role model and an ambassador for the brand and for AZ with our internal partners and external collaborators, with representatives from the scientific community and health authorities, and in any interactions with health care practitioners and patients.
- Lead through collaboration with the Acerta team, Pricing and Market Access, Competitive Intelligence and Business Information, as well as other critical internal functions
- Is entrepreneurial in problem solving and maximizes opportunities for the brand through shaping and driving ambitious and deliverable product strategy
- Identifies opportunities for the product strategy and drives decisions by coalescing diverse internal and external stakeholders’ interests.
- Ensures appropriate Governance and Compliance and protects AZ’s Rights, Data and Intellectual Property
- Builds and effectively leads high performing cross-functional teams.
- Proven experience as an inspirational, empowering leader in a strategic multifunctional environment.
- Exercises good judgment in decision-making and understands how to work with a cross-functional team to gather appropriate inputs, challenge ideas, and come to a clear decision.
- Has managed complex projects with ambitious milestones in high-pressure circumstances.
- An experienced leader with proven results in coaching and developing direct reports – proven track record of human resources management.
- Scientific or medical degree and experience is advantageous, potentially coupled with marketing or commercial experience and/or degrees.
- Experience in therapy, brand and product responsibility in Hematology
- Commercial experience including global/US pre-launch and launch for Hematology products is highly valued.
- Has been a sub-team leader and worked in a Global Project Team as a core team member over a sufficient time period to have achieved a significant milestone (phase III implementation; NDA submission and approval, launch).
- Has worked on a project that required activity/milestone achievement to 'file' the compound and/or prepare/launch the product.
- Market-relevant experience of therapy area, including the competitive landscape and Key External Experts is an advantage.
- Experience with phase 3 development and conduct and NDA filing and approval is highly valued.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.