Director, R&D Science Policy & Relationss
The Director, R&D Science Engagement & Policy will work closely with Oncology R&D Leadership and Corporate Affairs teams to support local/regional partnerships, policy development, and AstraZeneca’s reputation.
The successful candidate will be active in three main areas:
- represent AstraZeneca and its strategic interests in the many public, private and institutional groups that support the biotechnology community in the BioHealth Capital Region
- represent global and US public policy development in alignment with overarching R&D strategy (Oncology and BioPharma)
- ensure external engagement to enhance and protect our scientific reputation
This role will require an individual with a deep understanding of local/regional biotech/pharma networks (including the BioHealth Capital Region) and a demonstrable track record of strategically shaping science policy with impact. As such, the successful candidate should have a strong existing network with local US government, national policy institutions, R&D funding bodies and charities and key, influential science entities.
- Develop and implement AstraZeneca’s Gaithersburg-focusedecosystem acceleration strategy for the BioHealth Capital Region, including ability to engage and lead internal and external resources in demonstrating AstraZeneca’s advantages to external partners such as academic institutions, non-profit organizations and government agencies. Requirements include Board participation in key regional industrial / academic / institutional groups and ability to effect outcomes directly and via partnerships with various groups.
- Ability to engage productively at the level of state Governors and heads of major universities like Johns Hopkins / University of Maryland System as well as leadership at Maryland Tech Council and VABio.
- Develop and deliver a strategy to shape US science policy in line with AstraZeneca’s Oncology R&D and corporate priorities. Provide written briefings, position papers and presentations for senior leaders in line with our policy positions.
- Understand and influence life sciences industrial strategy and support senior leaders to maximise the impact of their involvement in government meetings as well as their involvement with scientific societies, trusts, foundations and academia.
- Collaborate with colleagues in external organisations (industry, academia, trade associations, professional bodies, research funders etc) and identify opportunities to leverage science policy and advocacy work of AZ through joint activities.
- Ensure internal and external measurement, insights, and strategic development against R&D scientific reputation
- Align and work closely with other global Science Policy & Relations functions.
Candidate Profile: Minimum Requirements
The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence, proven ability to manage multiple complex internal and external stakeholders and be expert at shaping the agenda of public, private and institutional groups via indirect authority (i.e., board seats).
10+ years working in biopharma is required (ideally across multiple functions such as commercial or R&D), as well as experience working in government, science policy or community relations specifically with a documented track record of shaping science policy in such contexts.
Experience on corporate / institutional boards preferred. Specific work helping communities / professional ecosystems to grow is appreciated, as is a strong sense of corporate strategy. Comfort with presentations to very senior groups required.
MS degree preferred but at a minimum a bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.