Director, Data Strategy and Value
Job Title: Director, Data Strategy and Value
Location(s) – Cambridge (UK), Gaithersburg (US) or Gothenburg (Sweden)
Salary – Competitive salary and company benefits apply
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for drug development and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
Would you like to be a part of a Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) group who has direct strategic impact on drug development, playing a key role in getting medicines to patients?
The DS&AI team collaborates across R&D to drive innovation through data science and AI. Together we aim to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
Sustainable, FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable & Reusable) data is the lifeblood of AstraZeneca as a science-led, pure-play pharmaceutical company and critical for the delivery of the AstraZeneca corporate strategy, in which Data, AI and Digital is a foundational value driver for Innovative Science and a potential corporate differentiator.
In this role, you will be accountable, in collaboration with Functional Head, to lead the development and implementation of results orientated, cross-functional Data strategy for the Therapy Area (or potentially a function), in service of more life-changing health solutions to patients. The outcome is essential for the delivery of the AstraZeneca company strategy, in which Data, AI and Digital is foundational and potential differentiator.
Responsible for strategy and execution that builds strong relations and effective and efficient business processes with internal and external partners and colleagues, based on excellent insight of customer needs and proven methodologies for FAIR AI/Analytics-ready data. Member of the Data Office Leadership Team and contributor to wider Data Office and Data Science strategy, in context of collaborator needs in Therapy Areas and R&D functions
Other responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with Senior leaders, SMEs, third parties and data providers in defining data vision, goals and an actionable time-sequenced Data Strategy and Roadmap that is explicitly linked to measurable business outcomes. A joined-up voice across the TAs, on how to improve value from data and agreed TA priorities.
- Establish Prioritization across TA/functions for corporate investments, oversee contracting and delivery.
- Develop, share and infuse cross-TA Data Strategy standard methodology and support.
- Contribute to potential cross-SET Data Strategy collaborations, as cross-functional R&D representative, or for certain areas.
- Build, implement, lead and communicate Data value metrics for Data Office.
- Maximise data value while safeguarding compliant & ethical scientific data stewardship, sharing & re-use.
- Help build a stimulating, inspiring and rewarding environment for data professionals which allows them to make a meaningful difference, grow their capability and add more value.
- Work widely across boundaries to establish common standards for data strategy, and value metrics.
- Proactively lead/drive cross-R&D collaborations, as required to ensure cross-functional alignment, adherence to standards, and strategy/policy development & update.
- Lead enterprise-wide data initiatives, as appropriate.
- Serve on Data Office LT and contribute to strategy, vision and objectives for the function.
- Relevant degree in Information/Data Science, Computer Science, Informatics, IT, or other related discipline.
- Experience of pharma and the life sciences.
- Experience of senior data leadership.
- Track record of significant strategic data project delivery with demonstration of clear scientific and/or operational value.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive relationships.
- Conflict resolution: succeeding in situations where a high degree of eye for business, influencing and tact are required to find a way forward.
- Needs the energy, experience, and motivation to work across global & functional boundaries.
- Travel – willingness and ability to travel domestically & internationally.
- Resilience – ability to overcome and motivate others in the face of a changing environment.
Next Steps – Apply today
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.