Director Data Automation & Tools
Director Data Automation & Tools
Location: Cambridge, UK or Gothenburg, Sweden or Gaithersburg, US
Salary: Competitive salary and company benefits apply
Would you like to be a part of a Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) group who has direct strategic impact on drug development, playing a key role in getting medicines to patients?
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
AstraZeneca is looking to invest in the data management and analysis platforms underlying its existing and emerging drug discovery technology, through its long-term Growth Through Innovation Strategy. Within the new Data Science and AI Group, you will be working with colleagues to build data management and analysis foundations for the future.
The DS&AI team collaborates across R&D to drive innovation through data science and AI. Together we aim to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
We are seeking an individual with strong domain knowledge, visionary leadership skills and informatics experience across a range of data types and data management approaches of importance to Drug Discovery and Development to lead this team. The Director of Data Automation and Tools will lead a team of specialists to push the boundaries of how we manage and organise our data for novel discoveries in R&D. The role will be based in Data Science and AI, part of AZ Biopharmaceutical R&D, reporting to the Head of Data Infrastructure and Tools.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will lead a team of informaticians and machine learning specialists, using domain and technical skills to prototype and co-develop novel solutions for R&D data, automation and analytics challenges
Your customers will include TA and Functional leaders, Scientists, Data Scientists. Key Partnerships and interfaces include Science IT, local (“Spoke”) data science organisations.
You will lead the team to:
- Work with scientists, BAs and BRMs as required to validate and translate scientific requirements into technical specifications
- Define, design and implement innovative approaches to data management, automation and analysis challenges.
- Test requirements through iteratively developing prototypes and testing with scientists (“running experiments”) including performing analytics to ensure that the resulting solutions produce data that is consistent, to quality, and will meet FAIR standards, as well as meeting the (potentially evolving) scientific requirements
- Work with appropriate SEUIT teams to productionise prototypes for enduring use, as required
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Work with Education, Awareness and Community to exemplify best practice in data capture, management and utilisation.
- Work closely with the data office team on application of data standards in novel applications.
- Create a stimulating, inspiring and rewarding environment for data professionals which allows them to develop their careers in a variety of directions.
- Sit on Data Infrastructure and tools LT and contribute to strategy, vision and objectives for the function.
- Lead enterprise-wide data initiatives, as appropriate.
- Network externally, promoting AZ data infrastructure and tools as a best of breed innovator in this space. Be the exemplary thought leader in this area, within AZ.
- Relevant degree in Information/Data Science, Computer Science, Informatics, IT, or other related discipline.
- Experience of pharma and the life sciences
- Experience of senior data leadership
- Track record of significant strategic data management solution delivery with demonstration of clear scientific and/or operational value
- Ability to manage and motivate innovative, technical informatics teams
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships
- Conflict resolution: succeeding in situations where a high degree of business acumen, influencing and tact are required to find a way forward
- Needs the energy, experience, and motivation to work across global & functional boundaries
- Travel – willingness and ability to travel domestically & internationally.
- Resilience – ability to overcome and motivate others in the face of a changing environment
- Experience of achieving tangible and acknowledged value in a similar position and scale of challenge and opportunity.
- Knowledge of Drug Discovery and Development practice in BioPharma
- Strong informatics track record.
Next Steps – Apply today
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.