AstraZeneca is a British-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical company. Here, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with renowned scientists to find the targets which are fundamental drivers of human disease. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on groundbreaking, outstanding work that has a big impact on science and making a difference in people's lives every day.
What you’ll do
As a Scientist in the COPD research team in the Respiratory and Immunology department (R&I) you will study lung biology with the focus on stem cell-derived epithelial regeneration, tissue remodeling and repair, as well as pathogenesis of COPD disease. You will study at single cell level mediators and pathways that regulate mitochondrial dysfunction and stem cell exhaution as well as dysregulation of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in COPD using patient tissues and disease relevant human based 3D models including iPSC-derived epithelial cells and organoid cultures.
You will also provide scientific input to the early stage of research and development. This includes study design, analysis, and interpretation of preclinical data and mechanistic studies in human-based 3D culture systems or animal models.
We will rely on you to:
- Perform a range of lab-based experiments including:
- 2D and 3D culture models (ALI and organoid cultures) and running in vitro functional assays
- Ex vivo analyses using molecular techniques (including isolation of genomic DNA and total RNA, analysis of RNA expression by quantitative RT-PCR).
- Protein quantification by ELISA, western blot or fluorimetric assays
- Flow cytometry analyses and cell sorting
- Ex vivo histological analyses (IHC and IF)
- Experience with fluorescent microscopy and high-content imaging with possible quantitation.
- Order supplies and maintain inventory, prepare chemical solutions and culture media, maintain general lab cleanliness and perform other work-related duties as assigned.
- Function efficiently as an individual and cooperatively with a team of research scientists and postdoctoral fellows.
- Strong organizational and experimental planning skills.
- Participation in laboratory meetings, keeping laboratory notebooks and preparation of data for publication.
Essential for the role:
B.S. with a minimum of 4 years of experience or a M.S. with 5 years of directly related work experience in industry (academic experience will be considered).
Additionally, you possess:
- Basic knowledge of lung biology, physiology and disease.
- Experience in isolation and culture of primary cell populations.
- Expertise with lung epithelial, mesenchymal cells or pluripotent stem cell culture methods.
- Experience with the operations of high throughput cell culture systems is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
Desirable for the role
- Experience in advanced live cell and 3D imaging
- Experience in the development of in vivo lung disease models and subsequent analysis
- Maintenance, expansion, differentiation and functional manipulation of iPSCs
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey!
So, what’s next!
If you are ready to make a difference - apply today, and we'll make it happen together!
Where can I find out more?
- Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
- Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
- Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.