Associate Director, Oncology R&D Science Communications
At AstraZeneca we win through science, it’s at the heart of our every success. That science is only possible when we all work together – we’ll always make sure you’re clear about how your role is connected to our wider mission to really show what science can do.
The Associate Director, Oncology R&D Science Communications will be responsible for the development and delivery of materials in support of an integrated global corporate affairs strategy for Oncology R&D across all channels, including major milestones and congresses.
This person will develop strong relationships with AstraZeneca Oncology R&D scientists and other key scientific leaders to identify newsworthy science content applicable for both external and internal channels. He/she will also partner with the AstraZeneca TA and other relevant corporate affairs teams to coordinate relevant science/publications-related content for the global editorial calendar, including medical congresses, publications and other relevant milestones. This person will also help amplify Oncology R&D-related scientific achievements within global AstraZeneca channels.
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with the ability to develop project plans and execute communications effectively. He/she has expert-level organizational and time management skills to support numerous projects, deliver against tight deadlines, coordinate with multiple functions and/or regions and successfully partner with internal clients and leaders. We are looking for a candidate who embodies a collaborative spirit and who is enthusiastic about working in corporate affairs within the pharmaceuticals/biotech industry. The candidate will ideally have a science background and/or has proven experience understanding & interpreting complex scientific content for multiple communications channels.
Champion AstraZeneca’s Oncology R&D pipeline and innovative science across internal and external stakeholders, helping to strengthen our reputation and identity as a scientific leader within the industry
- Partner with Corporate Affairs and digital communications team members to tell stories of our exceptional science and scientists, exemplifying our roles as leaders within the industry. Partner with internal communications team members to ensure channels have a consistent flow of Oncology R&D-related communications that showcase how employees are pushing the boundaries of science and exemplifying our values.
Co-lead the development, launch, and amplification of our R&D and Oncology science narratives across AstraZeneca
- Partner with the BioPharma R&D communications team in the development of our science narratives across AstraZeneca, and in the development of our Oncology narrative, and sub-narratives, including development and activation of a network of science ambassadors across Corporate Affairs; support ongoing amplification of science stories by identifying opportunities to align with ongoing newsflow (i.e. congresses, data milestones); ensure a steady beat of AZ Oncology newsflow by seizing opportunistic moments throughout the year to tell our story.
Lead the communications strategy & execution around key Oncology R&D publications and congresses
- Build & execute the appropriate communications plans for high-impact (HI) publications to help increase awareness, inspire pride and connect publication achievements to AstraZeneca’s Oncology R&D scientific leadership story. Develop and execute Oncology R&D communications in support of early- and late-stage Oncology R&D data at select global Oncology congresses.
Candidate Profile: Minimum Requirements:
- Minimum 7 + years of experience
- The successful candidate will have proven and extensive scientific communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence, and a demonstrated ability to work in a matrixed environment and manage multiple complex internal and external stakeholders.
- MSc preferred but at a minimum a bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline, in addition to strong Communications or Corporate Affairs experience, preferably in the pharmaceutical industry.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.