Associate Director, Diagnostics Oncology Training & Development
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As an Associate Director, Diagnostics Oncology Training & Development in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
This position is responsible for the oversight, strategic direction, and leadership of the field facing diagnostics curriculum to meet the needs across the US and Global markets. The incumbent will collaborate closely with his/her counterparts across each OTD Division Lead to ensure an alignment of business operations within the therapeutic areas. Through the efforts of his/her team members, the Associate Director of Diagnostics is expected to develop a consistent service delivery brand within the OTD that is evident in all learning and development assets created. The incumbent will work with sales, brand, clinical and other cross functional leaders to create training and development strategies and ensures alignment with business unit priorities to program objectives. This position is also responsible for ensuring the US and Global Oncology Diagnostic Manager (ODM) training curriculum team works in collaboration to create savings and avoid duplication of efforts. Success factors for this role include effective leveraging resources in both markets and outcomes for learners and stakeholders than can be translated into tangible business successes both in the U.S and in Global markets.
- Works directly with internal stakeholders, training managers, US and Global leads to understand current and future learning needs of the business. Ensures the necessary resources and supports are available to enable the OTD team to design, develop, and prioritize high-quality impactful learning innovations and experiences to support companion diagnostics and testing; plans for priority emerging and growth products within the oncology therapeutic area.
- Establishes strong cross-functional relationships across the product, marketing, and existing internal training teams to develop a scalable global training program that showcases the best of OTD.
- Leads the identification, deployment, and promotion of the most effective and innovative practices across the department; including launches.
- Leads teams to evaluate program metrics as a means of determining training impact in areas for growth and of success.
- Supports team members to achieve a customer-focused and performance-driven culture that supports Innovation, simplification, measurement, and excellence in learning development and delivery.
- Creates synergies across the teams to create cost savings collaboration and to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Maintains oversight of the Diagnostics Trainer to ensure that they develop & execute on the necessary curriculum/programs to support US Diagnostics KPIs (i.e. new hire, meeting workshops, etc)
Internal Contacts/Customers Include:
- Oncology TA, VP, U.S. and Global
- Oncology Brand TA Leads
- Learning & Development Managers
- Director, Oncology Diagnostic Managers
- Medical Information Managers
- Medical Science Liaisons
- Commercial Brand Leader
- Commercial Learning Staff
- Global Medical Affairs Staff
- Key Opinion Leaders
- Clinical Decision Makers
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of a blend of pharmaceutical/biotech/oncology experience
- Minimum of 3 years of diagnostic market or clinical testing market experience
- Thorough knowledge of diagnostic testing regulatory environment
- Demonstrated competency in medical learning & development and science liaison team
- Ability to effectively lead in a cross-functional and virtual team environment, providing direction and guidance to team members with varied and complementary responsibilities.
- Consultative abilities; demonstrated experience identifying internal client needs and making appropriate recommendations for the most effective L&D solutions
- Negotiation abilities; demonstrated experience working with leadership across functions to identify common areas of need and gain consensus on forward strategies that will deliver desired results
- Technical breadth across multiple disease areas; ability to demonstrate aptitude for continued knowledge development
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to author persuasive communications
- Strong project team management skills; with demonstrated ability to focus on effective procurement and planning of resources and establishing viable project milestones and final deadlines
- Working knowledge of information/technology systems that support learning and development initiatives, preferred
- Advanced degree in medical, pharmaceutical, or life sciences or a related field or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years of Oncology experience
- Minimum of 3 years of a blend of management and/or training experience
- Knowledge of instructional systems design preferred.
- Experience in global markets preferred
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.