Associate Director - Cell Therapy
Associate Director, Cell Therapy
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, cell therapy research? Have you published your work extensively in leading peer-reviewed journals? And would you like to apply your expertise to impact cell therapy in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the place for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, daycare, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
What you’ll do
We are seeking a highly-motivated and innovative Associate Director with strong leadership and communication skills to join the Department of Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering. In this role, you will manage a multidisciplinary team to developnext generation stem cell and immune cell therapies for cardiac, renal, metabolic, pulmonary and autoimmune disease areas. You are also expected to collaborate effectively with leaders across all therapeutic areas to advance pipeline projects.
Essential for the role
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology or other relevant scientific discipline with 10+ years of extensive experience in cell therapy
- In-depth knowledge in regenerative and immune cell therapy in non-oncology space
- Extensive hands-on experience in stem cell or immune cell therapy technology development, including gene delivery, genome editing, synthetic biology, chimeric receptor engineering and/or cell engineering; Proven capability to identify and develop new cell therapy applications
- Recognized leader in scientific specialty as evidenced by strong publications in leading peer reviewed journals.
- Track record in establishing high-level strategies for new technology development and applying new technologies in pipeline projects
- Excellent leadership: Effective communication and influencing skills with the proven ability to lead a multidisciplinary team; Strong and energetic leader capable of making sound and timely decisions; Excellent team player and team builder with good interpersonal skills; Proven ability to motivate, mentor and develop others
Desirable for the role
- In vivo experience using animal models
- Stem cell culture and differentiation
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.