HR Director – Middle East & Africa (MEA) Area and International Commercial Strategy
Based: Luton, UK
At AstraZeneca we are guided in our work by a strong set of values, and we’re resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. By truly following the science, we pioneer new methods, new thinking and bring unexpected teams together. From scientists to sales, lab techs to legal, we’re on a mission to turn ideas into life-changing medicines that transform lives. We need great people who share our passion for science and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients around the world. If you’re swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
We are seeking an experienced and professional Area HR Director, Middle East & Africa (MEA) and International Commercial Strategy. You will be responsible for the people strategy and all HR matters in MEA and the International Commercial Strategy organization. The role will report to the VP HR International and dotted line into the Senior Vice President, Middle East & Africa Area. You will form part of the Area Leadership team and the International HR Leadership team.
The Middle East & Africa Area (MEA) is one of the six business units under AstraZeneca International Region.
MEA is a commercial region delivers close to $1B sales. It’s organization spans over 30 countries with approximately 2400 employees covering 58 markets.
It includes 4 cluster markets and 1 standalone country - The cluster markets are GCC, Near East, Egypt & North Africa, South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa and Turkey is a standalone country.
International Commercial Strategy Dept.:
The International Commercial Strategy Dept. leads Commercial strategy development and deployment across International Region with a team of about 20 employees located in Luton UK and a few other countries.
The Area HRD plays a pivotal role and will develop and implement a people strategy for the business that delivers the critical people and organisational capabilities required for future success. You will establish and implement policies, practices and initiatives that shape an inclusive culture, engage and inspire our employees and support delivery of our AZ2025 vision. You will also maintain and develop our external employment brand, ensuring we remain attractive as a leading employer within our markets.
You will develop and drive an HR strategy that ensures a simplified, efficient and agile HR organization. You will guide and develop the AstraZeneca MEA HR Team and work across the HR enterprise to ensure the effective delivery of Business Partnering, Reward, Talent Acquisition, Talent & Development, Employee Relations and HR Services support for the Area and the International Commercial team.
Reporting into this role functionally are HR heads of GCC, Near East, Egypt & North Africa, South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa and Turkey.
To be successful in this role you will need to have experience in the following areas:
- As a member of the Area Leadership Management Team:
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the business strategy and create and implement an aligned, future-facing people strategy.
- Working in partnership with the Sr. Vice President and the Area Leadership team, acting as a business advisor, identifying HR and people implications and providing recommendations and driving the execution of plans to support business objectives
- Provide leadership, direction and development to the HR team to ensure that they are recognized as a highly valued function through strong deliverables. Drive a culture of accountability, empowerment, development and innovation.
- Provide specialist knowledge on such areas as organisation design and development, change and communications, drawing on local and/or regional experts as necessary.
- Reinforce employee engagement and Great Place to Work strategy via key initiatives, leadership capability building and overall shaping of the business agenda together with Area leadership team.
- Create a high-performance culture through the implementation of an effective performance management system, incorporating effective reward and recognition practices
- Work closely with the HR VP International to contribute to the broader International HR strategy and ensure alignment of local strategy, where appropriate.
- Previous experience in Middle East and Africa, or other emerging markets with multi-cultural environment in senior HR positions, working with senior leadership teams and contributing to the overall business agenda
- Proven experience in developing and implementing HR strategy supporting fast growing markets
- Proven record in business partnering to deliver organisational transformation, workforce planning, capability and talent development, culture change and performance management
- Knowledge of employment laws and regulations of large MEA countries and proven experience in managing complex compliances issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with high degree of integrity and trust, and an ability to influence and achieve results through others
- Evidence of successful leadership in transformation projects
- Proven track record of leading and developing multi-cultural team of HR professionals
- Previous experience working in a Global organisation and able to operate with an enterprise mindset
- Postgraduate HR degree and/ or professional HR qualification; MBA a plus.
- Experience in life sciences sector
- Breadth of HR experience e.g. Centre of Expertise, HR Service Delivery
- Experience of working in a global and regional role
- Interest and ambition to develop career internationally
Advert Expiry: 10th March
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.