Head of Manufacturing (Pharma) - Operations
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
As the Process Execution Team Leader (PETL), you will be accountable for leading a multi-disciplinary team and accountable for the overall performance of all processes within the boundaries of their Process Execution Team (PET) control.
Processes within boundary include production, material and asset utilization, support, and inventory in process as supplied to next supply chain customer under Vendor Managed Inventory.
There are further PET accountabilities for ethical conduct & compliance, financial controls, the maintenance of licenses to operate, and management of relationships with key stakeholders.
The PETL is part of the senior leadership group for the site and is expected to actively participate in site decisions and strategic planning.
Ethical conduct and compliance
- Ensures compliance of self and others to internal and external regulations.
- Is aware of and understands the relevant policies, procedures, laws, regulations and codes of business.
- Ensures self and team participate in training provided. Knows where to find the knowledge required and stays up to date with changes
- Ensures self and team understand how to apply policies and procedures and self-audit for compliance
- Does not permit any exceptions to required procedures & behaviors without prior approval of the policy owner
Fiscal and financial control
- Follows AZ’s financial policies, manages people resources to policy requirements and delivers budgets.
- Understands and delivers budget responsibilities.
- Understands and adheres to financial tools and processes expected of my area.
- Ensures appropriate mechanisms are in place to track and control manpower and non-manpower spend within functional area, within budget.
- Optimizes performance outcomes of direct reports and ensures individuals understand the contribution they make.
- Stays up-to-date on the AstraZeneca internal and external business environment and current challenges as they relate to functional area.
- Stays up-to-date on AstraZeneca’s mission, core purpose, strategy, objectives, priorities, products and business model.
- Sets clear team objectives for the PET.
- Ensures that team develops and adopts standard methods of work as the norm.
- Ensures that every PET member has clarity on how they can contribute to PET and AZ organizational success
- Performance management, personal development and reward processes are well managed. Appropriate records are kept.
- Team members have clear accountabilities and are given feedback on their personal performance.
- Performance reviews result in meaningful IPD’s. Plans for team are followed through.
- Recognizes responsibility, and responds accordingly, when team escalate issues that need attention.
- Underperformance and disciplinary issues are promptly addressed in line with AZ principles, including GPIP.
Leadership and engagement
- Represents the organization authentically and professionally.
- Ensures that there is effective cascade of information to the team.
- Promotes open dialogue and effective communication within team.
- Praises and reward strong performance.
- Is acknowledged and respected by the team as an effective and committed leader and coach.
- Effectively leads with courage and clarity during times of change. Sensitive to the impact on team and responds appropriately.
- Treats team fairly and with respect at all times.
- Is consistent in approach and does not alter my behavior when under pressure
- Leads by example and acts as a positive role model.
- Shows passion and enthusiasm.
- “Walks-the-talk”. Is visible and available for team.
- Fully utilizes the talents and abilities within the team.
- Monitors and maintains compliance in accordance with cGMP, SHE, SOX and business procedures. Raises and addresses issues as they occur. Is accountable for ensuring compliance is understood and maintained across own functional area.
- Accountability for adherence to the Quality & Compliance Standards for:
- Facilities (to ensure that products are produced and stored according to the appropriate documentation in order to obtain the right quality).
- Data, Documentation & Information (to approve the instructions relating to production operations and to ensure their strictest implementation)
- Batch Records (to ensure that the production records are evaluated and signed by an authorized person before they are sent to the Quality Control Department).
- Maintenance (to check the maintenance of the department, premises and equipment)
- Validation (to ensure that the appropriate validations are done)
- Organisation & Personnel (to ensure that the required initial and continuing training of the department personnel is carried out and adapted according to need)
- Demonstrates a good understanding of all areas of compliance.
- The phrase “right from me” is understood and adhered to by team.
- Understands our change control procedures and am confident that they are always used appropriately.
- Promotes the importance of safe working in my area and have a strong understanding of AZ SHE standards and procedures.
- Is committed to self-inspection and self-auditing programs for all areas under managers control.
- Ensures that all deviations are reported, addressed and acted upon. Is committed to timely close-out of actions addressing non-compliance.
- Ensures self is fully trained before carrying out a task and that self is fully trained to complete the task. Ensures that mandatory GMP training is up to date.
Deliver operational performance
- Ensure capacity and capability is in place to meet demand.
- Lead 0 – 24 month supply planning.
- Define and maintain the PET input/control processes.
- Accept senior responsibility within the PET for 0 – 24 month supply planning, ensuring service and inventory management targets are met.
- Accept responsibility for the team delivering quantity of output, on time in full.
- Ensure performance measures are in place and routinely achieved.
- Ensure that staffing levels and capabilities within the PET team are in place to meet demand.
- Closely monitor delegated responsibilities for the execution of the short-term plan, through daily/weekly performance reviews and clear performance indicators. (Rhythm time attainment, run to target, lead-time, etc)
- Is proactive (and reactive) in identifying and resolving issues that impact on performance of the PET.
Maintains compliance within licenses to operate
- Takes personal responsibility to assign responsibilities and maintain capabilities within the PET, to ensure that (SHE & Quality) license compliance requirements are met in full.
- Recognizes responsibility as PET Leader to be sure that compliance monitoring and auditing procedures are in place for cGMP, SHE and business controls.
- Ensure that compliance audit findings are followed up and closed out in a timely manner.
- Ensure the PET as a whole maintains effective relationships with upstream/downstream stakeholders.
- Develops senior level contacts, in particular with the Global supply Chain, Marketing and regional business planning groups for medium and long-term planning purposes.
- Promote continuous improvement within the PET
- Ensure improvement plans are in place.
- Accountable for appropriate management of all aspects of change within the PET.
- Maintain and share both current & future state Value Stream Maps, within the scope of the PET
- Engage in community of excellence activities to share and receive best practices.
Contribution to site/Americas leadership strategy and decision-making
- Collaborate effectively with other PETs for the benefit of AZ.
- Actively participate in site decision-making and strategic planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing, Engineering, Science, Supply Chain Management or related field
- Significant experience in manufacturing and supply chain
- Proven leadership promoting motivation and empowering others to accomplish individual, team and organizational objectives
- Ability to lead cross functional working groups and teams; Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities, resources, performance targets and project initiatives in a regional environment
- Proven negotiation, collaboration and interpersonal leadership skills
- Budgetary and resource management planning experience
- Conceptual, analytical and strategic thinking.
- Effective problem and conflict resolution skills and proven team focus
- Good knowledge of AstraZeneca policies, procedures and guideline
- Experience in managing projects in a Pharmaceutical environment.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.