Medical Manager –Vaccines/Infectious Diseases
Would you like to apply your expertise to make an impact in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life-changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening up new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to contribute to the development and deployment of a vaccine and therapeutic interventions around COVID-19 that could change the course of the pandemic, impacting people around the world and potentially saving countless lives. On top of the under-going studies on COVID-19 vaccine and monoclonal antibodies, we have a deep commitment in the broader immunology space, with several key assets coming on line and very active work in Medical ramping up from now.
As Medical Manager –Vaccines/Infectious Diseases to you will contribute to the development of medical strategy and provides Medical input into Brand Strategies ensuring support of the life cycle of the assigned products.
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do - join us.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
Customer and Account Shaping
- Ensure the patient is central to all activities
- Develop and maintain scientific relationships with key customers to build customer insight and develop strategic partnerships
- Develop and leverage medical insight from internal and external customers into Medical, Brand and Account Plans
- Provide expert medical input into key Government Affairs and Market Access activities
- Co-ordinate the development and implementation of Advisory Boards
- Co-ordinate the medical response to requests for scientific exchange of information from external customers and at key internal meetings
Brand Planning and Lifecycle Management
- Create a matrix team environment that supports innovation, challenges the status quo and provides clear role accountability within the cross-functional Respiratory & Immunology Therapy Area Team
- Be a full member of the relevant Brand teams, coordinating and delivering Medical cross-functional input into TA/Brand Strategies, tactical plans and to share successes and identify/resolve issues
- Co-ordinate the development and execution of Medical Brand Plans, with identified and agreed KPIs, to support Brand objectives
- Contribute to Medical support to L&D
- Coordinate Medical cross-functional input into TA/Brand Strategies
- Interact with Global and Regional Medical to ensure market influence on Global Brand strategy, where applicable
- Interact with Clinical Operations to maximise relationships with key investigators and to influence placement of critical studies/emerging products
- Input Medical expertise into Marketing Company Consultation and Communication (MC3) process and Business development projects
- Develop and deliver progressive pre-launch and launch Medical Plans for new vaccines / immunology products, delivering critical insights and activities internally and externally
Local evidence generation
- Leverage medical insight from internal and external customers into local evidence generation plans to support the development of Brand value propositions for the market
- Lead the clinical input into the development of RWE proposals for local value demonstration/evidence generation, to support the development of Brand value propositions
- Lead the development of study proposals for Local & Global studies, in line with the developing Value Story.
- Ensure the internal review and governance of Investigator Sponsored Studies
- Input high quality medical insights and direction into campaign development
- Drive intelligent compliance through adherence to the relevant regulations / codes of practice
- Work with materials originators to ensure that all materials are fit for nominated signatory apprioval
- Ensure Medical approval of all strategic promotional and non-promotional materials (including, but not exclusively sales, media materials, governmental and other materials)
- Lead the defence of Brand-related activities following external challenges
Medical Team and People development
- Provide strong leadership to the Respiratory & Immunology Medical Team to ensure a highly efficient service, developing business objectives focused on and supported by metrics measuring key, value-adding outcomes either as Line Manager or in Team Lead capacity.
- Create and maintain a team environment that supports innovation, challenges the status quo and provides clear role accountability
- Work with Sales, Marketing and Medical & Healthcare Affairs Leadership Teams to share successes and identify/resolve issues
- Where appropriate recruit and retain high calibre staff
- Coach and support TA medical team to drive excellence in skill and performance, developing capability in line with requirements of their roles
- Support the development and implementation of capability building individual PDPs of direct reports in line with Medical Affairs training rotation
Compliance and Governance
- Ensure medical support for pharmacovigilance activities, including the development and execution of Risk Mitigation Activities for all Brands
- Provide expert medical input into issues management (e.g. product withdrawals, safety alerts etc)
- Through Brand team membership, ensure that market activities comply with standards for medical governance and duty of care
- Act as a role model and ensure ethical/professional behaviour
- Review and ensure clinical governance over therapy area joint working, services to medicine and sponsorship requests
- Demonstrate leadership in compliance culture through qualification as nominated signatory or equivalent competence level
- Act as GCP Qualtiy Lead by ensuring GCP requirements are fully complied with and in line with the local Quality Management System (QMS) SOP and all other AZ policies and Standards
QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS or ACCREDITATIONS
- Registered Physician (MD) or Pharmacist (PharmD) or completed PhD
- Track record of leadership across the medico-marketing interface
- Prior experience in a Medical Affairs role in vaccines/ infectious diseases or immunology – a minimum of 2 years for exceptional candidates is expected
- Proven ability to interact with external customers
- Evidence of effective team working and accountability
- Board Certification / Member/Fellow of a Royal College or the Royal Pharmaceutical Society or equivalent
- Technical expertise in infectious diseases / vaccines/ immunology
- Extensive experience of the pharmaceutical industry
- Extensive patient and customer insight through experience in a health care setting
Reporting Line, Structure or Org Chart, Key Working Relationships:
- Reports to: Medical & Regulatory Affairs Director
- Key Working Relationships: Head of Field Medical Operations, Head of Marketing, Compliance Officer, Head of Medical Compliance, Brand Leader, Clinical Leader, Patient Safety, Regulatory Affairs, Global Brand Physician, Head of Government Affairs
Potential Career Development Opportunities – Next Possible Roles
• Medical Lead in different TA, Head of Medical Affairs, Brand Lead, Global Brand Physician, Global Medical Affairs.
Resources, Scale and Scope of Role, Location and any Travel factors
- Matrix reports: Medical Scientific Liaison Managers, Medical Information & Patient Safety Specialist, Medical Compliance Manager
- Head Office Based
- Regular local travel and occasional international travel
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.