(Senior) Medical Advisor | Oncology/Hematology
Who we are and what we stand for
At AstraZeneca, our ambition is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine and transform the lives of patients living with cancer. To accomplish this, we focus on research and development and our commercial capabilities to deliver a new generation of medicines that have the potential to redefine cancer treatment. For more information about our recent Oncology developments, access https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-therapy-areas/oncology.html#OurapproachtoOncology.
We are looking for great people who share our passion for science and have the drive and determination to meet the unmet needs of patients. When we deliver a life-changing medicine, that success comes from the combined efforts of all our people. We’re committed to a culture of continuous learning and people development so everyone at AstraZeneca can grow and thrive.
The Medical Advisor is involved in developing, planning and implementing the local brand medical strategy; (s)he engages healthcare Key External Experts (KEE) in in-depth medical / scientific product or disease area conversations, and delivers presentations in a non-promotional scientific context as determined by Medical Affairs plans. The Medical Advisor acts as an educational resource to internal stakeholders, providing medical / scientific knowledge, training, and support to internal stakeholders on AZ's marketed products and compounds in development.
Develop a local brand medical strategy and KEE engagement plan
- Liaise with Global Medical Affairs team and country TA Medical Lead to develop a local medical strategy and plan for assigned brand
- Develop the local KEE engagement plan with the TA Medical Lead, identify and segment KEEs according to their scientific interest and related affiliations and build the KEE network pre- and post-launch
- Member of Brand Team, with participation in the development and delivery of strategic and operational plans;
Engage in scientific exchange
- Engage with the medical / scientific community in a highly credible, balanced/objective way, representing AZ's dedication to and excellence in science
- Prepare and give relevant high level medical science presentations at congresses, symposia and scientific meetings
- Content development, agree agendas and delivery of effective clinical presentations e.g., advisory boards
- Respond to unsolicited stakeholder inquiries and provide focused, balanced and objective clinical / scientific information that supports the safe and appropriate use of AstraZeneca’s currently available products, including questions regarding off-label uses, and products under development, when appropriate to do so
Build capability of other internal and external stakeholders
- Help to build stakeholders' understanding about potential solutions to their needs, e.g., extended access programmes, approaches to diagnostic testing, etc.
- Act as an educational resource to internal stakeholders
- Support the field force and other departments with medical science information (e.g., disease and treatment) and training
- Effectively gather, analyse, synthesize and forward relevant new knowledge and meaningful insights about the external scientific / medical / regulatory environment to internal colleagues, e.g. partnering with Market Access and Regulatory functions.
- Minimum five years of medical experience in either pharma industry or clinical/research practice, with significant medical background in Oncology/Hematology
- Possesses or demonstrates the potential to rapidly build comprehensive and specialised scientific, clinical and therapeutic knowledge in Oncology/Hematology, including disease state management and emerging therapies, and the drive to continually build individual knowledge over time
- Ability to credibly engage stakeholders around the patient journey, drawing on the deep scientific and clinical knowledge, and actively leveraging patient databases and pathway analyses
- Capable to think through and discuss available treatments in a non-promotional way with a focus on the patient experience
- Understands treatment reality, connected payer perspective, health economics fundamentals and can apply systematic methods for using comparative clinical efficacy evidence and comparative clinical effectiveness evidence.
- Ability to credibly and impactfully discuss scientific content with multiple types of audiences, including at congresses, symposia, or one-to-one scientific meetings, tailoring depth and style of communication to the specific interests of the audience
- Understands the diagnostics / companion diagnostics environment and potential issues clinicians may face in providing effective testing / treatment
- Confidence to meet challenges and make the right decisions; acts independently, is willing to take on challenges, able to say no to stakeholders when necessary
- Able to understand, interpret and communicate data in a compelling meaningful manner
- Solution oriented and partnership approach
- Advanced English
- Highest ethical standards
Should you be attracted by this career opportunity, we look forward to receiving your application and to engage in a productive conversation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.